Opinions on Howard University

New ones, reviews of old ones, changes and thoughts.

Opinions on Howard University

Postby _Future_ » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:46 pm

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what they think about Howard university as a prospective Med/Dental school.
Their G.P.A requirement for both of their schools are much lower than other school that ive looked at...Is it a good school to consider for applying??
I will eagerly anticipate your responces
Thank you :)
_Future_

Postby blooteeth » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 pm

Howard looks for students who are dedicated to working with the underserved. Is that something you'd be interested in?
blooteeth
Fellow
Fellow

Postby _Future_ » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:19 pm

Could you explain a bit more??? Problem is I have finally decided that Dental school is much more suited for me then med school after I worked under a dentist but My current G.P.A is worrying me:( I have a 3.15 (a pretty rough freshman year im afraid) and am a junior at the current moment...I have not taken the DAT but intend to within the upcoming year...say I make a 20-22. Would I have a shot at any other dental school??
Thanks so much for your time and patience:)
p.s. Im sorry that I am asking about dental school rather than med school :oops: its just that this forum is so informitive and helpful and I have yet to find such a site for predent. students:)
thanks again!
_Future_

Postby l8st-xit » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:04 am

I interviewed at Howard's med school so, while not directly applicable, this may be of some use:

DO NOT, by any means, think of Howard as a 'bad' school just because their mean GPA/MCAT scores are lower than the average. Medical education is so standardized that you'll get the knowledge you need to be a dentist if that is what you want to do.
I have two family members who went to Howard Med and are now extremely successful physicians in the D.C./Maryland area.
During my interview day, I was EXTREMELY impressed by the people that we met. It was a very welcoming environment and the students were VERY happy there.
So, don't discount it at all. Take your DAT, worry about applications and then, if you are invited, go to the interview and decide for yourself.

Lastly, touching on blooteeth's post - Howard definitely looks for students who want to be involved with underserved populations. If you don't feel this way and/or don't have any experience to back this up, then they most probably won't look at your app.

I hope this helps.
l8st-xit

Postby CaribMD » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:43 am

The biggest mistake to make is think there is a tier of medical schools, you are lucky, yes lucky to study medicine and you need to look at all schools equal. Know that they turn down 60% of who apply the odds are that you will be turned away, stats are only to be thought of your chance to interview and get to the point of possible acceptance.

Think this way and you will do well.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Next

Return to Medical Schools