Canadian Medical Schools

New ones, reviews of old ones, changes and thoughts.

Canadian Medical Schools

Postby artloversplus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:28 pm

How can I find information on them and if they also require MCAT? Are they as competitive?
artloversplus
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Canadian Medical Schools

Postby Brady Kinesia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Not many Canadian medical schools accept applicants from the USA.
The AMCAS site says that 17 Canadian medical schools are members but that doesn't mean that you can apply to all of them internationally, it just means that they may use the MCAT exam as an entrance requirement

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/DynamicPa ... l%20School

I got interviewed at McGill University medical school in Montreal which is the top school in Canada, and submitting the MCAT was optional in their applications

To answer the main question, yes the few programs that would accept you applying from abroad are just as competitive and there isn't a compelling reason for them to accept American students, so being US citizen doesn't have much advantage

My personal experience was that the two interviewers at McGill had an anti-American bias and tried to stereotype American students.
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Re: Canadian Medical Schools

Postby Abdullah » Wed May 28, 2014 8:28 am

You may get information through internet. Most of the Canadian medical schools require undergraduate courses in general chemistry, physics, biology and organic chemistry. 10 out of 15 Canadian medical schools require applicants to write the MCAT. You could write the MCAT in April or August the year before they would start medical school. MCAT results are required by some schools in October, so you may prefer to take the April test to give yourself more leeway. Here is a list of top medical schools. Hope it will help you
Abdullah
Gunner
Gunner

Return to Medical Schools