Medical Schools in Porto Rico

New ones, reviews of old ones, changes and thoughts.

Medical Schools in Porto Rico

Postby artloversplus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:19 pm

I notice the admission standards are lower in the PR than in the US but it is higher than the Caribbeans.

Is there any quality of education from those schools in PR? Will the graduates less qualified? How do they compared to the Caribbean 3?
artloversplus
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Medical Schools in Porto Rico

Postby Percival B » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Ponce School of Medicine
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine
Universidad Central Del Caribe School of Medicine
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine

I remember getting an unsolicited brochure and application packet in the mail from Ponce, I remember that name, and maybe one of the other ones... they were recruiting U.S. students on the basis of MCAT scores, I think, because otherwise there is no way those offshore admissions offices could have known I was applying to med school

Any accredited medical school program is probably going to give you the resources you need to prepare yourself, in a sense it is what you make of it and you get out what you put into it, in the form of studying. Self-motivation irrespective of context.

That having been said, I believe that Puerto Rico, being a U.S. territory is a better bet for academics than the Caribbean schools in non-U.S. nations
Last edited by Percival B on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Postby artloversplus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I was told all PR schools has Spanish requirement and the classes are taught in Spanish. Is that true?
artloversplus
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby Brady Kinesia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Some statements found online :

University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine

"To answer some of your doubts, all three med schools here use the same texts as most other schools in the US. All tests, quizzes, research papers are in English. Usually for a given course classes can be taught either in English or in Spanish, depending on the personal preference of that particular instructor"

Ponce University Medical School

A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.7
MCAT within the year prior to application and cumulative score greater than 19.
Be completely bilingual in English and Spanish

Depends on the school, it seems, and testing is in English but instruction may be in Spanish. Plus most of the social life of the school is based on students from P.R. so you are kind of an outsider if you don't know Spanish at all.

I was not aware of this, very good information to know ! Thanks
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby Percival B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:11 pm

OK, now I wonder why Ponce sent me their application, because I am certainly not "completely bilingual" in Spanish / English. I know a little Spanish from visiting Central America and Hispanic communities in the USA. But nowhere near enough to really follow Spanish-only medical lectures.

They cannot know whether somebody is Spanish-fluent on the basis of MCAT, so I guess it was just random bulk-mailing to people who got high MCAT scores. And that was a very long time ago
Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Next

Return to Medical Schools