Nursing Career Advice

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Nursing Career Advice

Postby MPinAZ » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm at the final mile marker before I'm past the point of no return, and I need some advice!

I'm almost 30 and I have a psych degree from about 8 yrs ago. Over the past yr I've completed all the required pre-reqs for a couple of the nursing programs here in phoenix (with a 4.0 gpa). Some of the courses I took 8 yrs ago I had to retake because they became out of date. I took the pre-reqs full time and lived on student loans and piled up about 25K of debt.

This past summer I've been working in a blood lab making about 45K/yr while I wait for the next app deadline for nursing school enrollment. Now the next deadline is coming up, but so are the first payments of my previous $25k of student loans.

My fiance makes about $45K and he's younger than me, he just started his career in finance and he bought us a house. If I drop my job and go to school for 2 yrs, his income is gonna be stretched really thin with the payments we need to make on my student loans (about $220/mo) added to our normal bills. I would also have to apply for more student loans to cover us through the 2 yr program. Also we're trying to pay for a chunk of our wedding and I was hoping to have kids with him before we get too old.

If I stick with the current lab job I have, then we're making dual income and we can work on paying down the debt load ASAP, and we could be serious about kids soon. But I feel like if I go to nursing school, I'm giving up on the chance to make good money and I'll have zero time for my life. I always wanted to have a high income so that we could take our future kids on vacations and not worry about bills. I thought if I could work the 3x12 nursing shift, it would be a big boost in the right direction.

is it worth the sacrifice and extra debt?
MPinAZ

Re: Nursing Career Advice

Postby amygarside » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:20 am

I think that being a nurse would involve passion and dedication. If you think you have both, then why not go for it. If you feel that you are only in it for the pay, then maybe you should reconsider because it is not really a job that is easy to do. If you think that you are sacrificing now, then there are a lot more when you become a nurse. Whichever will be your decision, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you would be able to find work that is rewarding both financially and mentally.
amygarside
Gunner
Gunner

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum