CNA > BSN or LPN > BSN??

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

CNA > BSN or LPN > BSN??

Postby veeshm » Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 pm

I am a Medical Assistant that is going to graduate this month with an Associates in Pre-med. My next step was to become a CNA and begin working until it was time to apply to BSN programs. My family is suggesting that i become an LPN instead because i will be wasting my time. Could someone please list pros/cons or clarify which track would benefit me?
veeshm

Re: CNA > BSN or LPN > BSN??

Postby DOdoc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:12 am

Hi,

LPNs are slowly being phased out of major institutions and in fact, many places now require at minimum a four-year nursing degree. LPNs would not be eligible for hire.

My advice would be to buy your time in whatever capacity you can until you can apply to a four-year nursing program. In my opinion, anything other than that would be the waste of time unless you have very specific employment goals in mind, and that having an LPN is sufficient enough for you to acheive those goals.

By comparison, as an MA, you can work in many capacities. I would guess that as a CNA, you'll have even more options. I would imagine--though only an opinion--that being a CNA would give you some advantage to gain admission to a BSN program over "just" having an MA, but I don't know that it would be that significant. If your goal is to become an RN, I'd suggest making that your only goal and not worry as much about the other pursuits so much in the hopes of better chances of being accepted into a BSN program. At the very least, I'd suggest scratching becoming an LPN off the list unless there is some specific goal you have that only being an LPN can acheive.

Good luck,

Dr. F.
DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Postby veeshm » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Thank you so much Dr. F! I thought that LPN seemed like it was being phased out but i wasn't sure. My ultimate goal is to achieve a BSN from a university. I have already completed the first 2 years at a community college hence the Associates i am graduating with. I just need something to fill in the gap from now until next fall when it is time to apply for the BSN programs. I am planning on continuing to take classes at the community college to boost my gpa as well as finding a job as an MA or CNA.. maybe even take up two jobs. I just hope i am not wasting my time.
veeshm

Postby JamesMarkham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:35 pm

There are a number of benefits to enrolling in CNA to RN program. They are a great option for those who wish to increase their income as well as their opportunity for career advancement in the health care industry. You can have all sorts of detiles in our website to make the change.
JamesMarkham
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum