Being a Nurse from scratch

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Being a Nurse from scratch

Postby Luffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:44 am

Hi everyone,

im new here, and i would like to know what path should i take: *im 21 y/o, has a foreign*Philippines* HS diploma, i recently migrated here in the U.S. ive been staying here for almost 7mos and been working as a claims examiner in a california MedicalGrp for 5 mos and i really dont know the do's and dont's here so i need an advice on my career path. My Long term Goal is to be an MD, but for now i really want to focus being a RN first.

first off here are some of the path i would like to consider doing

1. get the prerequisites at a Local CC and transfer to a Nursing School. *prolly ill be registering this fall(2012)

2. get an associates degree in Surgical Technology then Bridging to RN. *SurgTech cause i want to work with surgeons and at OR i want the excitement in those kind of stuffs*

3 get a CNA certificate then study LVN then bridge to RN *cause many are taking this path when i searched the internet*

i am really open for comments and suggestions, and would definitely appreciate it. Thanks in advance -Luffy

BTW, which one is much cheapier and faster?
Luffy

Re: Being a Nurse from scratch

Postby cna dude » Wed May 23, 2012 8:38 am

Hi there Luffy,

Personally, I would take the CNA certification first and then look to becoming an RN, this will allow you to get a good deal of the "basics" in your employment experience before moving forward, including things like patient care, basic obersations, communication skills etc. If you work as a CNA first then there are organisations who will be able to provide funding for that certification (Red cross being one) but often they require a dedicated period of employment with them following your certification. Usually to take a CNA certification you just require a GED test pass or a High School diploma, you would need to check if your own Philippine HS diploma is okay for this though.
cna dude

Postby DarekM824 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 pm

cna dude wrote:Hi there Luffy,

Personally, I would take the CNA certification first and then look to becoming an RN, this will allow you to get a good deal of the "basics" in your employment experience before moving forward, including things like patient care, basic obersations, communication skills etc. If you work as a CNA first then there are organisations who will be able to provide funding for that certification (Red cross being one) but often they require a dedicated period of employment with them following your certification. Usually to take a CNA certification you just require a GED test pass or a High School diploma, you would need to check if your own Philippine HS diploma is okay for this though.

Hello, I totally agree with you cna dude for me I think CNA certification is on my first thing "to do" list, you will learn a lot before getting your certification.

good luck!
Darek
DarekM824

Postby jonk916 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey Luffy,

That is quite an ambitious plan! So I vote to only get the CNA license if you are in need of a job while you go to school. It doesnt matter a great deal if you have CNA experience going into RN school or med school. (especially not med school) All of the skills you will need as a RN will be taught to you in RN school so dont sweat experience.

The one thing I would say Fluffy, is just choose one area and go with it. Becoming an RN with a BSN is about a 5 year task. Then you do med school, another 4 years, then a residency, another 4 years, by the time you get out and get a job you will have gone through about 13 years of education! Also consider nurse practitioner, it would be another good road for you.

Goodluck and if you have any more questions dont be a stranger.

Jon
jonk916

Postby JamesMarkham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Anyone who wants to go into nursing and become a certified nursing assistant will need to look at all of the schools that offer programs for this type of education and cna training. There are certainly a number of institutions that offer them, though you will want to make sure that the one you choose is accredited. You will want the certification that you receive to be worth something when all of your training is complete so you will be able to get an entry-level position in a hospital, nursing home, or some other health care facility. By taking a look at some of the different schools that offer these programs, you will get an idea as to where you can go to earn this certification.

The University of Phoenix offers an exclusively online program for those who wish to avoid going to a traditional campus. It is a fully accredited program and you will be able to get all of the educational credits which are required to become certified; however you will still have to perform the necessary clinic hours to receive your degree and legally practice in your own state. Kaplan University also offers a CNA program for those who are interested. This school also has programs for forensic nursing, care management, and legal nurse consulting.

It is important to make sure that you have looked into all of the schools that are in your area, because there are many of them that offer this program. With the rising demand for nurses and assistants, the sheer number of colleges and universities that have started to offer these programs has increased dramatically, especially in the last several years. By going through one of these programs you will be able to get all of the training and education you need to finally earn your certification and begin your first job as a CNA.
JamesMarkham
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum