CNA->LPN->RN->MD? (Info inside)

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

CNA->LPN->RN->MD? (Info inside)

Postby Davelee » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:01 am

First off, I'd like to say that I realize there is an absurd amount of threads such as this, but I felt that I should make a new thread due my position and countless experience. I've always had this dream to end up in the Medical field (which I am currently in), but it doesn't feel like enough. It's a lot like being on this power trip, and you can't get enough of and you want to go on and on... But first, a bit about my background.

I started out in the medical field when I was 20, I became a CNA at a nursing home and worked there for 2 years (while working, I went to LPN school), I worked at the same nursing home as an LPN while going for my BSN. I got my BSN and worked in a hospital setting for the past 4 years. (I tell you now, I sure as hell am NOT in this field for the money, I love helping people and feel like it is my...fate, if you will).

Now with everything being said, I come to the road of, do I advance in Nursing or go to Medical school. I'm leaning towards Med school as I want more responsibility. I correct mistakes from Doctors (like prescriptions and what not), I've aided in diagnostics, and I feel that I could perform really well. (I know that just because I can do the job doesn't mean I'd survive Med School, but you better believe I'll be trying my hardest). I would love to hear some opinions, however. Anybody have similar experience to mine and advanced to another position in their careers?
Davelee

Re: CNA->LPN->RN->MD? (Info inside)

Postby MissMelissRoths03 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 pm

You seem very talented!! You should be proud of yourself :) I believe that med school would be a great option for you. Yes, it will be hard but judging by the dedication you have given to your nursing career - you could do it. Keep in mind that medical school is very expensive, and being a doctor is different that being a nurse. Whatever you chose to do, I believe that with your background and determination you will succeed! Good luck!
MissMelissRoths03

Postby CaribMD » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 pm

I started as a CNA in the 80's then went to Nursing school (RN) and then 20 years later
Medical school (MD)

I'll let you know if I get residency, and later if I regret it yet................ :|
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby allcrna » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Have you considered becoming a CRNA? They experience quite a bit of autonomy, and it would definitely be less schooling. If you're interested, [url]All-CRNA-Schools.com[/url] is a great resource when picking out a school.

You could also be a nurse practitioner, since you seem to prefer more patient interaction. As you may know, all advanced practice nursing careers will require a DNP by 2025, so you could easily get a terminal degree.
allcrna

Postby cna dude » Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 am

The main problem I see with now going on to train as an MD is that you're essentially starting from scratch at the bottom again. I would have thought it would be far better for you to specialize in a specific area of nursing where you could work as an advanced practitioner of some kind.

I started as a nursing assistant and completed by degree to become an R.N. I have also considered becoming an MD but the extra time of studying to start at the bottom again really puts me off. I would far rather use my years of experience gained to undertake a more advanced nursing role than study to become a doc.
cna dude

Next

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum