What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby suzeeveronica » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm currently minoring in Biology, and am in a Masters in Nursing program. I'm concerned about my lack of physics req's, having only 1 semester of physics. I want to go to medical school and hopefully make it in the field of neurology someday, but am having concerns since everyone is saying having a nursing degree may hinder you from getting inton a good med school.

I want to be a APRN for a few years until I go to med school, but a lot of my friends in med schools are telling me this is a bad decision.

I feel like if I spend time preparing for the MCATS and work in the field as an APRN I can develop the experience and knowledge expected by Med School's.

I'm still concerned. Anyone have any advice?
suzeeveronica

Postby CaribMD » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 am

suzeeveronica wrote:I'm currently minoring in Biology, and am in a Masters in Nursing program. I'm concerned about my lack of physics req's, having only 1 semester of physics. I want to go to medical school and hopefully make it in the field of neurology someday, but am having concerns since everyone is saying having a nursing degree may hinder you from getting inton a good med school.

I want to be a APRN for a few years until I go to med school, but a lot of my friends in med schools are telling me this is a bad decision.

I feel like if I spend time preparing for the MCATS and work in the field as an APRN I can develop the experience and knowledge expected by Med School's.

I'm still concerned. Anyone have any advice?

A lot of premeds have the false belief that working as a Nurse or CNA is somehow beneath a premed student, actually a CNA can do more hands on Patient care than any premed, in some cases an RN can perform more invasive procedures than a medical student.

There's belief and then there's reality
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Adminnaoum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am

Actually, RNs in the ED and ICU often have more responsibility (and are more trusted by the attending) than are many interns.
Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaribMD » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Adminnaoum wrote:Actually, RNs in the ED and ICU often have more responsibility (and are more trusted by the attending) than are many interns.

Yes and Paramedics and EMT's even basic get excellent experience with patients ( plus pay in most cases!)
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby VessleOfGod » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:09 pm

bapassey wrote:Really, I don't think that the major you choose is that important.

I got in with an undergrad degree in psychology. My friend got in with a degree in French. Most of my class got in doing some sort of science, but really I agree with CaribMD in saying that you should just pick something you like doing.

Hey does this mean that for an example Music. If i have a music degree how on Earth could I pass the MCAT?? Are you saying you took the classes that you needed but just had a major that had nothing to do with medicine...?

And also have any of you heard anything about biomedical engineering? I imagine it being a very lucrative job and was wondering can you have a medical career/biomedical engineering career and still be in the OR? Does this mean you would have extra training in both the hands on and technology areas of medicine?? If so, what are the best jobs for using your tech-related specialities...
VessleOfGod
Scutophile
Scutophile

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum