What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby eddiemenacho3 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Sorry I was in a rush, but my brother have close to the same GPA's, our GPA's are between 3.4 and 3.5 (overall), but when I started my major classes our GPA jumped up to a 3.7 and 3.8.
eddiemenacho3

Postby CaribMD » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 pm

eddiemenacho3 wrote:Sorry I was in a rush, but my brother have close to the same GPA's, our GPA's are between 3.4 and 3.5 (overall), but when I started my major classes our GPA jumped up to a 3.7 and 3.8.

The major is of little importance, its the GPA that matters, do something you care about and do well in. :wink:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby bapassey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Really, I don't think that the major you choose is that important.

I got in with an undergrad degree in psychology. My friend got in with a degree in French. Most of my class got in doing some sort of science, but really I agree with CaribMD in saying that you should just pick something you like doing.
bapassey

Postby MissMelissRoths03 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:42 pm

bapassey wrote:Really, I don't think that the major you choose is that important.

I got in with an undergrad degree in psychology. My friend got in with a degree in French. Most of my class got in doing some sort of science, but really I agree with CaribMD in saying that you should just pick something you like doing.

I've heard this, too. It can be a challenge picking a major and many pre-med majors get caught up trying to decide. There is a lot of speculation about the type of school you go to as well. I've heard many rumors- med schools prefer small liberal arts colleges, etc.

But, I would do something that you enjoy but, also consider choosing a major that involves lab work and hands on experience. That way, you will have that experience when beginning med school!
MissMelissRoths03

Postby AD04 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

Pick something that you like. It is easier to do well in something you are interested in rather than someone that you don't like at all. Another option is to pick something useful, such as another language, business skills, or whatnot just in case you don't go directly to medical school.
AD04

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum