What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Postby Cash McCallister » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:47 am

It is my understanding that the pre-reqs you have to take are plenty for the MCAT, though I have had biochem recommended as well.

Since you have to take all of those classes regardless of whether you're a science major or not, how will you have trouble preparing for the MCAT?
Cash McCallister
Spaminator
Spaminator

Postby guru123 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:04 pm

When we take advanced level classes in a certain subject, we get better understanding on the lower level classes in that same subject. i was just saying that it was easier for me to prepare for biology since i was a bio major. I had to study much harder for physics and chemistry than for bio to get similar scores on those sections. i felt like that was an advantage. that's just my opinion though.
guru123
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby tayahssister » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:04 am

if i had to do it all over again i think i may also agree with the recommendation to do what interests you and do what you like and are good at. the reason for this is that i think i may have enjoyed college more. i also think its good to have a balance as has also been stated before so if you can take a bit more science classes just to broaden your perspective and perhaps prepare you for the mcats that might be wise. i also think however if you are really interested in science but are at an extremely competitve school where its hard to get that right premed gpa with a science major i would consider majoring in something that im really really interested in and then maybe taking a few science courses that are not too difficult for grades and others for pass fail (of course not the premed stuff for pass fail).
tayahssister

Postby xuan » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 pm

My daughter is currently majoring in Biology but she is planning to switch to Anthropology. She is a sophomore but she took Genetics, Physiology and is taking Biochemistry this quarter. She is almost done with premed requirements and she got A or A+ in all of classes except for O. Chemistry classes at a top tier UC. She took a MCAT practice test after freshman year and she got 34 (BS:9,PS:11,VS:14). She is taking Anthropology class this quarter, she likes it and wants to switch to Anthropology. She is planning to take
MCAT this summer and applies to med schools next summer. My question is what do med schools think about my daughter changing major.
xuan
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby elxr06 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Changing majors shouldn't matter that much as long as you still do well and make your app still look really good :D

If your daughter's into anthropology and can do well in the courses required, then by all means go for it. Med schools don't care about what major you are in but of course, a non bio major may help a set you a bit apart from all those many people who've been doing bio all their life.
elxr06
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum