What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby AL_emt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm

You may be right for some schools, but all the primary care-oriented schools in this area love non-science majors. I know that all three of my interviewers were impressed that I had degrees in non-sciences, and one mentioned that it set me apart from the "cookie cutter BMD pre-med" (his words, not mine :D ). Most of my interview day was actually spent talking about what I had done in undergrad and grad school, both academically and in the field, and how those activities related to medicine. My last interview actually ran way over the allotted time because we were discussing public health education (he was also an MPH) and community health needs. I feel you can have a strong science background and not be a science major (it certainly worked for me).
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby cheechootrain » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 am

Non-science majors are really tough and very inconvenient. On top of fulfilling your major requirements, you'll have to complete your premedical reqs.

Why not do a B.A. in chemistry which is 50 percent all premedical reqs! YEAH! CHEERS
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby premedcoach » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I think Psychology would be a good undergraduate major for Med School. It helps you understand different personalities and attitudes. A doctor must be a broad minded person and should understand their patient more than anyone else. But that's just my opinion. It will always depend on you after all. :D
premedcoach

Postby cheechootrain » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 pm

kelvinman wrote:how should i pick the best med school to become a nursing?

nursing??? lol
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby eddiemenacho3 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm wondering my chances of getting into medical school. My brother and I are very similar in our grades and experiences in the medical field. My major is Kinesiology, with a exercise sceince concentration. Those who aren't familiar we take bio classes, anatomy and physiology, and chemistry, but not the extreme higher level courses. We also took a year of organic chemistry, biology, physics, and statistics in order to meet the pre-req's for medical school. Along with that, we also have volunteered i AMCA, Red cross, different hospitals, health scholars program, published a research paper, shadowed doctors, have conducted different reserach with doctors, and work at a public health internship. I'm just wondering if my major would give me a disadvantage for medical school. Any suggestions? And also thinking of double majoring.
eddiemenacho3

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum