What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby cheechootrain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 pm

AL_emt wrote:
sgh0215@ecu wrote:Health Education and Promotion , with a concentration in pre-health professions

Didn't you read any of the previous posts on this topic? It doesn't matter. Once again, slowly: It. Doesn't. Matter.

It matters a little bit. You don't want to take a major such as Liberal Studies if you know you are going to medical school. That's too much work for one individual.
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby quackquack » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:02 pm

I had three majors, but my vote if you really want something you can use while practicing besides biology would be psychology. As a therapist I see so many family doctors now prescribing meds for kids. Forget psychiatry, how many undergrad psychology classes do you think they took? One...two? Hmmm.... :shock:
quackquack

Postby AL_emt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 pm

quackquack wrote:I had three majors, but my vote if you really want something you can use while practicing besides biology would be psychology. As a therapist I see so many family doctors now prescribing meds for kids. Forget psychiatry, how many undergrad psychology classes do you think they took? One...two? Hmmm.... :shock:

Psych majors represent! Woot woot! :D
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby TriagePreMed » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:26 am

quackquack wrote:I had three majors, but my vote if you really want something you can use while practicing besides biology would be psychology. As a therapist I see so many family doctors now prescribing meds for kids. Forget psychiatry, how many undergrad psychology classes do you think they took? One...two? Hmmm.... :shock:

Undergrad psych doesn't prepare you at all for prescription of psychiatric drugs. Although I think the clinical rotation in psychiatry and the USMLE/COMLEX portions of psychiatry are too low of standards to medicate children with psychiatric drugs, I do find that training to be much more than any BA/BS in psychology.
TriagePreMed
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby spike1360 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm in my senior year of undergraduate biology and I would not recommend studying a non-science. By the time I graduate I will have taken nearly every subject taught in medical school and I feel this gives me a great advantage.

Edit: I am not really talking about admissions, but rather how helpful one's degree is towards their medical schooling.
Last edited by spike1360 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spike1360

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum