What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby cheechootrain » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:23 am

CaribMD wrote:
premdmaa wrote:What are the prereq's for Med school when majoring in something other than science?
Is it the same as the prereq's taken in community college to transfer to a CSU or USC plus an additional of what other classes?

:?: :?:

1 yr of each Bio, Chem, Ochem, physics, :wink:

don't forget the labs! because it won't count
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby medpsych » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:28 am

premdmaa wrote:What are the prereq's for Med school when majoring in something other than science?
Is it the same as the prereq's taken in community college to transfer to a CSU or USC plus an additional of what other classes?

Pre-reqs are the same whether majoring in science or non-science classes. You generally can't take the pre-med level science classes at a community college.
medpsych

Postby premdmaa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 pm

medpsych wrote:

Pre-reqs are the same whether majoring in science or non-science classes. You generally can't take the pre-med level science classes at a community college.

I am confused. The pre-med pre-req classes I'm taking at CC are equivalent to pre-med classes at CSU. Is there another set of pre-med I have to take at CSU that would qualify for the MCAT?
premdmaa

Postby noexvievre » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 am

The actual MSAR course sequences are available at the community college level but most admissions committees frown upon coursework completed at that level; quite a serious stigma has been developed over the last few years regarding CC coursework because the academic standards at CC vary widely. As such, many admissions committees consider course sequences completed at the 4-year undergraduate institution to be more rigorous and as such more telling of an applicant’s affinity for and aptitude in science. While some advisors/admission's staff may not share this information bluntly, some medical schools actually indicate on their prospective student pages that prerequisites must be done at a 4-year degree granting institution. But as always there are always exceptions to the rule! Check out the following link for additional information:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/about/start.htm

Or

www.aspiringdocs.com
noexvievre

Postby premdmaa » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 pm

I had no idea! You saved me from a lot of time wasted! Thank you so much!
premdmaa

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum