How much does a nurse make?

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

How much does a nurse make?

Postby CaribMD » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 am

Top Degrees
Hourly Rate

Bachelor of Science, Nursing (BSN) $22.90 - $31.71
Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) $21.97 - $30.11
Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) $21.88 - $30.33
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) $21.71 - $29.71

( average of 50K a year or so)

All are RN's
not too much difference right?

Over all:
Hourly Rate $22.09 - $30.83

Overtime $30.72 - $45.88

National Annualized Data

Bonus $208.57 - $1,818

Profit Sharing $308.05 - $2,047

Total Pay ( depends on all factors)

$46,837 - $67,366

Source: PayScale payscale.com/research/US/Job=Registered_Nurse_%28RN%29/Hourly_Rate

I have friends who keep saying that Nurses make 75 to 100k a year......... this is truly blown out of proportion, Nurses earn well but not as much as many think.

5 Years ago in Atlanta before I went to medical school, I made around 42k a year as a home Hospice RN.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: How much does a nurse make?

Postby CaribMD » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:25 pm

karta wrote:it is a wonderful post are you sure about this numbers.

Yes ( I'm an RN as well)
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Sam MSN Nurse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 pm

I have found that it can depend a great deal on the location and specializations that a nurse works with. For example I live in Florida now, and earn about 15% more than I did when I lived in Kentucky. The need for nurses in certain states like Florida or Pennsylvania helps raise the salary of experienced nurses. This page from the school I attended has some general information including some of what you can expect from the work, and what salary ranges you will be looking at jacksonvilleu.com/nursing-degree-resources/registered-nurses-career-guide.asp.

You are not going to get rich being a nurse. You will have to work very hard for what money you do earn. No matter how much more money you might earn above what you earn now in a matter of months will seem like too little compared to your responsibilities. Most of the reason to be a nurse is because you like people, have patience when dealing with people, and you want your life's work to have helped people. It is sort of like being a teacher, you can not do it for the financial reward. There are easier ways to make money.
Sam MSN Nurse

Postby cheechootrain » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:23 am

If you work for kaiser, you make bank because they're a union :lol:
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby ellabakmd » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:59 am

Very informative statistics about wages of nurses. However, one thing is missing there .. what is the number of years of experience .. for these figures?
ellabakmd

Next

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum