Nursing School How long will it take?

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Re: Nursing School How long will it take?

Postby JH-DNP » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 am

The bar continues to be raised for nurses in today's health care system. More and more skills are being required of nurses, so more and more education is the key to preparing for those positions. Is the very reason that entry into advanced practice nursing is being changed from Master's level to Doctorate level. Those who want to continue to progress in their career as a nurse know that education combined with experience is the key.

I agree with Dr. Carib. While you can enter the profession with a diploma or Associate's degree... a BSN is most common for those entering the nursing field (i.e. today's defacto standard). If you're entering with anything less, you'll be "behind the eight ball" as the field continues to progress.

There are some professions where you HAVE to remain up to date... where you should NEVER stop learning. Medicine and Nursing are two examples of such professions.
JH-DNP

Postby msabha » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:59 pm

The most economical and efficient way is to go for a 2- year diploma. It is cheaper and faster. Many states offer an RN license with only a diploma. Once hired an employer might offer the RN a tuition reimbursement and the RN can finish his /her BS on their pace. Check the nursing compact program... A nurse can work in many states with the same license for that check http://www.asi-wi.com then go to the resources tab for a list a video on the program
msabha

Postby Maguire47 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Every profession takes a while to become established in. Your career path is a reflection of how well you prepared for classes, exams, internships, and eventually your first job. Don't be apprehensive or discouraged about following your dream of becoming nurse. As everyone prior to me said, there are plenty of ways to prepare for your future through tons of resources which will make time go by smoothly.
Maguire47

Postby kolol23 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:24 am

Hello, I am new to this forum, this is really very interesting and best forum for me and other also.

thankss!!
kolol23

Postby sandra85 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 am

Sorry for bumping this old thread, i read that mostly BSN gets hired, so is it better financal better to get the BSN, as job outlook?

EDIT: I was talking with a friend, he said, he showed me a webpage where it states:
(nurseinformations.com) Employment of LPN's is expected to improve 21 percent between 2008 and 2018...

I'm still not sure, should i make my BS?
Last edited by sandra85 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandra85

Previous | Next

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum