What is the difficult part of nursing?

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Re: What is the difficult part of nursing?

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 am

I do agree with the statement that nursing needs both emotionally and physically strong nature, still you need to have a sympathy towards your patients and should be able to love them as your dear ones. Then only you can be good nurse. It needs a lot of patience too.

Postby jamesshaffer85 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 am

As to me, the most difficult part of nursing is taking care of someone who has fatal diseases. It's unbearable to see people who still have hope in their eyes, but only a miracle might save them.
jamesshaffer85

Postby MediMatt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:53 pm

I agree---I think you need to have a really strong nature to be a nurse. You need to be strong emotionally. I work with people who have mental health disorders, and that is really difficult. The patients have never gotten violent with me (although a few other nurses have had that experience)---for me, it's more seeing how the families have a hard time with the person's mental disorder. I think it takes a certain kind of resilience to work with that population.

If you're interested in working with people with mental health disorders, here's <a href="http://www.apna.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3292">a good place to start</a>.
MediMatt

Postby cnacram » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:11 pm

i would certainly agree death could be so hard to deal with... but I would also say that dealing with patients who have attitude problem is quite challenging too.
cnacram
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby nupur343 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:27 am

A lot of registered nurses will tell you that just getting through the schooling required is the hardest part of being a professional nurse. But once you’re there, you still face challenges every day.

As with any profession, one of the hardest parts is dealing with inter-office politics. It can be extremely frustrating. Dealing with difficult co-workers, an apathetic and unhelpful administration, or the demanding families of patients can take its toll on a person emotionally.
nupur343

Previous | 

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum