How hard is it to get into top postbacc programs?

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

How hard is it to get into top postbacc programs?

Postby kaleidoscopic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:16 am

I'm applying to 1-year post-baccalaureate programs with linkages, and my top choice is Bryn Mawr. Since the sole purpose of these programs is to get students into med schools, I'm assuming they are fairly selective. Does anybody know their average GPA/standardized test scores, or how hard it is to get into them? If you've gotten accepted/rejected from these programs, please do share.

I have a 3.7 undergrad GPA at a top 10 university, 1480 on the SAT, 300 hrs of clinical experience, and public health research experience. I'm a little worried because I got a B+ in the one science class I've taken in college (a biology class about plants...) and some Bs in my high school science classes.

Any stories or tips would be much appreciated!!
kaleidoscopic

Re: How hard is it to get into top postbacc programs?

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Why a post bac with a 3.7? Why not just take the pre reqs MCAT and apply?

I get the feeling from reading so many posts from different people that they feel like the books are closed on undergrad once they have a degree, undergrad is never closed.

You can have 22 BS degrees if you want. ( I do not recommend that of course LOL) And you can go to undergrad without seeking a degree it still counts.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby kaleidoscopic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:12 pm

There are several reasons why I would like to join a top postbacc program instead of taking classes at a local university. The main reason is the amount of support and resources provided by postbacc programs. Taking biology, orgo, and physics at the same time while studying for MCAT will be incredibly stressful, and I'd really need all the help and support I can get. I also like that top postbacc programs have linkages to several med schools, which would elimiate the glide year. Finally, I think it will be so much more empowering and beneficial to study among other high-achieving career changers, rather than among undergrads at a community college.
kaleidoscopic

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:56 pm

kaleidoscopic wrote:There are several reasons why I would like to join a top postbacc program instead of taking classes at a local university. The main reason is the amount of support and resources provided by postbacc programs. Taking biology, orgo, and physics at the same time while studying for MCAT will be incredibly stressful, and I'd really need all the help and support I can get. I also like that top postbacc programs have linkages to several med schools, which would elimiate the glide year. Finally, I think it will be so much more empowering and beneficial to study among other high-achieving career changers, rather than among undergrads at a community college.

1. You should never think your going to study for the MCAT while taking the required courses its putting the cart in front of the horse thinking.
2. I get the sense of rushing this, do not it will cause you problems. You cannot take too many courses at once anyway its not recommended
3. Post Bac is normally to take upper level science not lower level science.
4. Support? Tell me more, I have never seen such, you can arrange counseling without being in a Post Bac
5. What is the "Glide Year"? a Post Bac is no guarantee to getting in and you still must do everything every other applicant must do.

I just want you to think about this,

Post Bac will not replace
Shadowing
Volunteering
Patient experience
and possibly research

Have you done these?

Getting into medical school is long process not a short quick one, talk to those of us in medical school. :wink:

No offense just want to share my thoughts on this..............
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby sova196 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:51 am

Excellent post. Thank you very much!!
sova196

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds