EMT vs Paramedic

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

Postby boss » Sun May 25, 2008 9:19 am

can some ellaborate on the time needed to complete these courses??

they offer emt classes at a local community college here, but i also thought it was too long of a comittement to complete in a semester.

With the basic emt course completed, can you work anywhere with that class completed?
basically, im asking how long would it take to start going out in the real world and getting exposure....and then how long until you can get paid for it???

i hear they make pretty good money (15$/hr)...always a plus :D
boss
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby illegallysmooth » Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 am

boss wrote:can some ellaborate on the time needed to complete these courses??

they offer emt classes at a local community college here, but i also thought it was too long of a comittement to complete in a semester.

With the basic emt course completed, can you work anywhere with that class completed?
basically, im asking how long would it take to start going out in the real world and getting exposure....and then how long until you can get paid for it???

The EMT course I took was from 6pm - 9 Monday thru Thurs, from mid-May through mid-August. EMTs can start working wherever a company will hire them. They make crap for money. $7.50 to start here. Paramedics make $12 or more (of course, these will vary by location). Which is still not that much.
illegallysmooth
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby CaribMD » Sun May 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Cash McCallister wrote:
IceJBreaker wrote:CaribMD, Not all EMT-B's can start IV's It depends on the state/local protocols. LOL I bet you were just a driver! LOL pwn3d.

Are you going to let him talk to you like that Carib?

Its all good

EMT B was in MD where you can do a lot at these levels even Paramedic

But really Paramedic does not leave a lot of time to study premed one would want to just do the EMT

LOL really not a problem.

Down here in the Deep south we are lucky if the Ambulance drivers took the EMT course, Coroners here are not MD's they can be the auto mechanic around the corner and get elected or someones brother/brother in law! LOL yep!

Have a good one you all!
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Cash McCallister » Tue May 27, 2008 12:57 pm

hotdog wrote:
IceJBreaker wrote:CaribMD, Not all EMT-B's can start IV's It depends on the state/local protocols. LOL i kinda feel weird correcting you because your input is always great. LOL im not trying to start anything here.

Thanks for editing... let's not use these types of flaming language on here.

LOL now I have to come clean... I actually just quoted him and changed his post to the flame. I though Carib would see that it was changed and assume I changed it--I didn't consider that someone might think he said that and then edited it. Sorry!
Cash McCallister
Spaminator
Spaminator

Postby IceJBreaker » Tue May 27, 2008 4:25 pm

boss wrote:can some ellaborate on the time needed to complete these courses??

The EMT B course I took was 2 nights a week for 6 months. Each class was about 2 - 3 hours.

With the course completed, you can get a job as an EMT. However, the amount to be made varies by location, experience, and the employer. I live on Long Island in New York and I make $11.50 an hour. It isn't the greatest, but it is definitely worth the experience.
IceJBreaker
Scutophile
Scutophile

Previous | 

Return to Health Technicians