Do osteopathic schools interview allo/osteo applicants?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Do osteopathic schools interview allo/osteo applicants?

Postby Err » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi,

I applied to several osteopathic schools this past year and have yet to recieve any interviews. I have tons of clinical experince and shadowed a family practice clinican DO for 6 months. I interviewed at U. Minnesota and U. Iowa with a 26 MCAT and a 3.2 g.p.a. and a master's degree. Do osteopathic schools not consider applicants that apply to both MD and DO programs?
Err

Re: Do osteopathic schools interview allo/osteo applicants?

Postby illegallysmooth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Err wrote:Hi,

I applied to several osteopathic schools this past year and have yet to recieve any interviews. I have tons of clinical experince and shadowed a family practice clinican DO for 6 months. I interviewed at U. Minnesota and U. Iowa with a 26 MCAT and a 3.2 g.p.a. and a master's degree. Do osteopathic schools not consider applicants that apply to both MD and DO programs?

Yes, they do consider these applicants. I would guess that most DO applicants have applied to at least one MD program as well. I take it the programs where you interviewed are MD? That's surprising to me because most people will tell you your stats aren't high enough for a shot at U.S. MD programs.

However, word on the street is that some schools will prefer students who only apply to DO, if it demonstrates some commitment to the DO philosophy.
illegallysmooth
Sub-I
Sub-I

reapplying

Postby Err » Thu May 01, 2008 12:09 am

I was briefly considering UAG however, after cancelling the 5th pathway, and the fact that DO primaries begin again soon, I was thinking of reapplying early to only the DO programs. maybe more shadowing and a few more LOR's as well could help. Yeah both interviews were MD.
Err

Postby bapassey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 pm

This is a good question. My experience while interviewing at DO schools was that they really liked applicants that only applied to osteopathic schools. One way or another I mentioned in my personal statement that I was only applying to DO schools and all my interviews mentioned that they liked my commitment to the osteopathic philosophy.
bapassey

Postby CaribMD » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:00 am

bapassey wrote:This is a good question. My experience while interviewing at DO schools was that they really liked applicants that only applied to osteopathic schools. One way or another I mentioned in my personal statement that I was only applying to DO schools and all my interviews mentioned that they liked my commitment to the osteopathic philosophy.

Yes true but you must be Sincere
DO philosophy is something I cannot 100% agree with although mostly
"Rib lifts" to help with Respiration I just do not get. :?:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)