M.D vs. D.O

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Postby cooldreams » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:44 pm

svvool wrote:You know just for the heck of it, I decided to look it up, and believe me I found more than 2,

but here are just two sources:

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/schools/med/neur ... aculty.htm

You can see one D.O. Neurosurgeon there and....

http://www.altoonaregional.org/physicians.htm

If you look down the list here...there is one D.O. who is also a neurosurgeon.

no, i fully acknowledge that there are a few DOs at MD neurosurg places working or teaching, but i mean AS RESIDENTS at a MD NEUROSURG place, there is only ONE in the whole country.
cooldreams

Postby cooldreams » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:45 pm

and by one, i mean throughout all 6-7 yrs of any program, only one DO in the entire country.

so you have a better chance going to sgu to be a neurosurgeon at a MD neurosurgical place than does a DO.
cooldreams

Postby svvool » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:24 pm

Well Neurosurgery I think is by far the hardest residency that exists and there are only a few programs out there. Considering that only 5% of doctors are D.O.s it is likely that they will probably not be represented there. If it comes down to that, how many foreign grads do you know that are in the Neurosurgery residency? I would be surprised if it there was even one.
svvool
Gunner
Gunner

Postby nonsequiteur » Thu May 17, 2007 3:34 am

It doesnt look like this post has been active in quite awhile, but I had to comment anyway.
Other countries Do have their own DOs, but there is a misinterpretation between American DOs, and foreign DOs. Foreign DOs are chiropractors or naturepaths. American obviously are not. When an American DO goes to practice medicine in a foreign country they are thought to be simple chiropractors without the medical education that a medical doctor has. That is what the difference is between American DOs and foreign DOs, semantics. The AOA is considering a designation change for DOs here in America to prevent that misconception.
nonsequiteur

Postby youngerama » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 pm

This is the second year I am applying to medical school. I have considered applying to DO and international programs as a second option. I want to make it clear to others who might be in my situation; 95% of people who go to D.O. school go because they could not get in to M.D. program. DO philosophy is unique and they make excellent physicians, equal to MD's at face value and ability but they are considered second tier by the whole american medical community in an unspoken sense. Competing for residency versus an MD would prove very difficult.
youngerama

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)