M.D vs. D.O

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:41 pm

May be the system of education you talking about might be prevalent in asia. I know considerable amount of british colonized countries in africa that still follow the british system. Going from high school straight to College to study medicine. They still have intermediary institution just like the UK too. They call it Polytechnics. I don't understand the part that you said they don't have to obtain MD to practice.

True that most of them take organic, physics and other pre-reqs before they finish high school but they will still need to go to collge for..what.. 5yrs and one yr workmanship (as they call it) to become doctor. That's an equivalent of an MD here.

I believe just as osteopathic is not the dominant type of medicine in the US, so it is in the third world countries (i prefer developing countries). The only difference is that the US is more advanced and appreciates the differences it brings to the world of medicine.

With time, this will happen with other countries.

just my take.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby cooldreams » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:37 am

No.

The reason england and british/former british and some other countries do not accept DOs is because THEY have THEIR own DOs. Now mind you, you could practice as a DO over there, but they do not accept DOs in the frame of mind you expect because their DOs are ONLY TAUGHT MANIP. So basically, as a DO you will never practice medicine in those places.

using the usa as an ideal model for healthcare policy is a joke. while the rest of the world gives a medical degree as a bachelors, the usa has done it as a doctors degree. their are extreme politics going on that force the hand of doctors. As a DO you will get random people who know nothing about you or of osteopathic medicine saying youre not a real doctor.

i would chose sgu over DO. the most competitive residencies WILL NOT take DOs, but they do accept usimgs .... dont believe me? find me just two neurosurgical residents who are DOs in an MD program. just TWO... can be ANY year... just two.
cooldreams

Postby svvool » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:12 am

You know just for the heck of it, I decided to look it up, and believe me I found more than 2,

but here are just two sources:

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/schools/med/neur ... aculty.htm

You can see one D.O. Neurosurgeon there and....

http://www.altoonaregional.org/physicians.htm

If you look down the list here...there is one D.O. who is also a neurosurgeon.
svvool
Gunner
Gunner

Postby OlufunshoBY » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:14 am

exactly what places have their own DOs but are only taught manipulation?

While some competitive resident programs won't take DOs, it is not a representation of all residency program. Neurosurgery, is tough to get into even as an MD and even tougher for a foreign graduates. it all depends on individual choices.

it might not always be because you are a DO, maybe you just don't have enough DO wanting to become neurosurgeon.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby corndog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:17 am

Also, there might also might not be nearly as many DOs as MDs.
corndog
Sub-I
Sub-I

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)