Mapping out performance based on neighborhoods

Da Bears and other important distractions...

Moderators: Adminnaoum, flipsoid

Mapping out performance based on neighborhoods

Postby templexc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 pm

I was watching an old episode of numbers tonight and they had the idea of perdicting whether a person would succeed based on where they lived. this really bothered me because it really takes away the chance that someone can rise above their social standing in life. it also bothered me because it seemed like they were saying that you will end up doing what your family does. my dad is a teacher and their is no way i can handle a class of high school kids. it is an interesting idea and i love the idea of using math in everyday life but taking away the chance for a child to be successful in life is a terrible crime
templexc
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Mapping out performance based on neighborhoods

Postby Brady Kinesia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 pm

It depends on how you look at it, there is the "social Darwinist" interpretation. So of course you don't meet with some student and tell them "You have an exactly 23% chance of success based on the Zip code that you live in.

On the other hand there are legitimate uses of statistics, such as, suppose there is some neighborhood in which only 23% of the kids are graduating from high school. Then that identifies a problem urban area where something has failed in the system, something needs to be changed about the conditions of life to give them a better chance
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Return to OT - Off topic discussions