EMT training as medical expereance?

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

Re: EMT training as medical expereance?

Postby CaribMD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes I agree get the cert but work as an EMT 6 months to year before applying
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby spike1360 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 pm

You'll quickly find that most of the "medical experience" you will do, you do nothing. That's why I went EMT. I actually get to work with patients instead of watching a doctor/nurse do it. Don't misunderstand, though, you still have to do the boring shadowing and hospital volunteering etc.
spike1360

Postby Caitlin Wood » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:11 pm

better you will get first your certificate after ward decide what's best working place for you.
Caitlin Wood

Postby Aisha Bennett » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:37 am

EMT training involves difficult challenges, in terms of course of studies and practicals also. Aspiring students require a focused mind and should be ready to tackle the challenges in order to excel here. Becoming an emergency medical technician needs a strong desire and limitless efforts, and is not confined just to studies.
Aisha Bennett

Postby Brady Kinesia » Wed May 29, 2013 12:30 am

I got my EMT certification during the summer the year before I applied. It was a good experience. The general emergency medicine knowledge is always a good head start. The requirement to work in the morgue at the Medical Examiners puts you face-to-face with death and having to dissect the human body. So if you have any doubts about the "bloody" aspect of medical training, that will answer your questions. It was also a good experience to be able to work directly with patients in the emergency rooms of two hospitals. In terms of real-world EM skills of course I agree that it would be better to get hired by an ambulance company and do the real job, rather than only getting the certification. In my experience the course cost very little to take and was well worth it.
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Previous | 

Return to Health Technicians