EMT being a disadvantage????

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

Re: EMT being a disadvantage????

Postby Brady Kinesia » Wed May 29, 2013 12:40 am

Jcam0016 wrote:I had a very interesting conversation with a premed adviser that is well known and also knows very much about the application process. He advised me to not take EMT training saying that it could perhaps be a disadvantage. He says that med schools do not agree how the EMTs learned and seem to have to teach the EMTs to "unlearn" many techniques they were taught. He also said that they might be leaning toward taking the other applicant who had other areas of volunteering if they are both equally qualified.This seems to be very weird and Im not sure why med schools would look at it that way. I am sure many of you will disagree with him but he is very well respected and knows much about the process.

Disagree with the advisor's statement based on my own experience. Is this advisor a physician? If not, then maybe they don't know the subject. Or if so, maybe it's his own arrogant personal view regarding the para-medical professions. "You must un-learn what you were taught by EMT", that is just nonsense.

There is no disadvantage to doing EMT. Only question would be whether there is something else available to you at the same time which would actually give you better clinical exposure. It is true that EMT is not a "volunteer activity". It's a certification, it's a job.
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby harrybrown » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 am

Well, if your heart and mind dictates you to EMT then follow it. You don't have to depend on what other people say even if it's from the mouth of a premed adviser.
harrybrown

Postby Sameer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Yes harry brown. That is very true indeed!!
Sameer
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby miclelee7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 am

will381796 wrote:If you're one of the students that comes on here and asks how many certifications they can get before they apply to med school and have no intention of using their EMT/CNA/LVN/RN licenses, then yeah, it could hurt. But as you seem to want to do it not only for med school but because it interests you, then do it. You could get your EMT and then volunteer at a volunteer as an EMT (killing two birds with one stone).

Well said!
miclelee7

Postby Amy Turner » Thu May 04, 2017 1:39 am

Thinking about if this adviser works for medical school...
Amy Turner
Scutophile
Scutophile

Previous | 

Return to Health Technicians