EMT being a disadvantage????

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

EMT being a disadvantage????

Postby Jcam0016 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 am

I had a very interesting conversation with a premed adviser that is well known and also knows very much about the application process. He advised me to not take EMT training saying that it could perhaps be a disadvantage. He says that med schools do not agree how the EMTs learned and seem to have to teach the EMTs to "unlearn" many techniques they were taught. He also said that they might be leaning toward taking the other applicant who had other areas of volunteering if they are both equally qualified.

This seems to be very weird and Im not sure why med schools would look at it that way. I am sure many of you will disagree with him but he is very well respected and knows much about the process.

And for those of you that know a considerable amount about getting into med school...do you think i should follow his advice and look for other ways of clinical experience or go ahead and do the EMT training? (By the way I am not doing EMT just for med school as it seems to be a very interesting and exciting way to gain experience)
Jcam0016

Re: EMT being a disadvantage????

Postby will381796 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:24 am

I don't know how "respected" a pre-med adviser can be, but I don't see getting the EMT as anything that will hurt you. It can only help your application...if you plan on USING it. If you're one of the students that comes on here and asks how many certifications they can get before they apply to med school and have no intention of using their EMT/CNA/LVN/RN licenses, then yeah, it could hurt. But as you seem to want to do it not only for med school but because it interests you, then do it. You could get your EMT and then volunteer at a volunteer as an EMT (killing two birds with one stone).

That sounds like the argument I've heard about people saying not to take anatomy during undergrad because it will hurt you in med school as you'll have to relearn it. Yeah, you will learn anatomy differently in medical school than you would in undergrad, but having the exposure to the terminology and basics "set you back" when you get to med school...that's ridiculous.
will381796
Fellow
Fellow

Postby Jcam0016 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 am

thanks for the advice...i definitely agree w/ you and was really confused when i hear that from a premed adviser. He might have thought that i was just going for the EMT certification and wasn't going to use it and thats why he responded so negatively. Looks like i will go ahead and take the EMT courses next semester.
Jcam0016

Postby elxr06 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 pm

go ahead and take the EMT program. it can't be all that bad .... besides, if you use your new skills to your benefit, medical schools can't say it's all bad, even though they might disagree with it.

It's like you have a M.D. vs a D.O. They both can treat you, so people may disagree with your approach to medicine, they can't disagree with your skills if you use it to your advantage.
elxr06
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Postby IceJBreaker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:01 pm

Since I am only a freshman, I can't really say how being an EMT will hurt you or not. I can only say to do it if it really interests you and you are not doing it simply for admission reasons.

When I was a senior in high school I decided to volunteer at my local volunteer ambulance corps because I heard good things about it from some family friends. After a good understanding of what they do, I decided to enroll in an EMT course. I should be certified as an EMT after December 13th (the state exam). I decided to volunteer before I really considered being Pre-Med.

Having an EMT certification may also give you a chance at some other clinical experiences. I know that with an EMT certification, you can get a job or volunteer as an Emergency Room Technician. You can work in some other departments as well. I may already have one of those jobs lined up for me since I know people who I volunteer with who are doing it. All I need is the certification. They also said that having that kind of job will let you see what doctors really do and give you the chance to get to know some of them (possible LOR's).
IceJBreaker
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to Health Technicians