Non-MCAT Schools and Wishful Thinking

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Non-MCAT Schools and Wishful Thinking

Postby drhistamine » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:53 pm

I am looking for a comprehensive list of North American and Caribbean schools that do not require the MCAT. Does such a list exist?

I figure I will try my luck after 4th year with applications to Non-MCAT schools while I supplement my application with volunteer work and MCAT studying. I am wondering if this is a waste of time. Do these schools require inordinately high GPAs or extensive health-care related experience that would show commitment to medicine?
drhistamine

Postby elxr06 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:51 pm

1. There are only 3 schools in NA that do not ask for the MCAT that I know of for sure - University of Ottawa, McMaster University, and Northern Ontario School of Medicine. These are all located in Ontario, Canada.

In the MSAR it actually says that Dartmouth doesn't require the MCAT but, surprise surprise, 99% of 2005 accepted students took took it.

So it's safe to say, that you have to take MCATs for application to U.S. Medical schools.

2. I heard that Saba and MUA (caribbean schools) don't require the MCAT and they are decent schools, especially with residency match.

But then again, I advise taking the MCAT - good prep (especially verbal) for the USMLEs and who knows what your MCAT scores can do for you in those schools not requiring MCATs. The adcoms will see you did well if you indeed do well, so that can't hurt.
elxr06
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff