What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby VessleOfGod » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Another question. I was wondering.. How is the Nurse anthesthetist job outlook? I've heard certain things about anesthesists vs. nurses anesthesists. Some people say it is better to be a nurse rather than a physician because your job is more stable.
I've heard that you no longer have to be supervised in the OR for some states. So what is the purpose of an anesthesiologist? It seems like the nurses will soon take over as the years go by. Hospitals would rather pay a nurse's pay for an anesthesiologist's job. Makes sense.
VessleOfGod
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Hmm I would check into the "No supervision" stuff there is always some oversight by a Physician with an NP. You could not run the Dept without an MD also Unless your practicing medicine without a lic.

As far as stable, yes I can see paying a Nurse anesthesist 100 to 150k over 300 to 500K for the MD, so yes there would be more Nurses than MD
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby donald » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:20 am

Microbiology and biochemistry would be a good major I think.
donald
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby Brady Kinesia » Sat May 18, 2013 9:09 pm

You should choose a major which is sincerely interesting to you, and perhaps based on a longstanding interest in your life, or a facet of your personality. I did Philosophy. The reaction of some less-sophisticated people might be: "What's the relevance of that to medicine?"
But the fact is: it's actually very relevant, for medical ethics, writing, critical thinking, etc.

- Don't major in something that you don't like, just to try to impress someone else. You will do better overall in college if you are happy and in-tune with your major area of studies.

- On the other hand, don't do what is considered a "gut" major at your school, i.e. the path of least resistance in order to just finish the general college degree requirements in the easiest way possible.

When it comes down to the med school interview stage, having done something interesting as a major can help your chances, IF you can articulate why you chose that, and what it means for you and your future perspective on being a physician. When the admissions officials see a hundred applications which are all Bio, Bio, Bio, Bio, Bio, and more Bio Majors, it can help to set you apart from the crowd.

That having been said, being "interesting" will not compensate for inferior grades and test scores. The substance in the core science classes has to be there before your distinctive qualities matter for med school admissions.
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby axxo1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:07 am

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that the major is of little importance, however the GPA DOES matter.
axxo1

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum