Medical School in India for a US student

Resources and answers for IMGs applying to the ECFMG for US medical and surgical residencies.

Moderator: CaribMD

Medical School in India for a US student

Postby Medicine40 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi,
I am in my first year of undergraduate at a US university and I am seriously thinking about transfering to an Indian medical school. My parents and I came to the US from India three years ago and we have been going thru an extreme process of getting our greencard. For this reason I am not able to afford a college education and would like to attend medical school in INDIA whatsoever. Now my question is:

I am have taken Biology, Chemistry, physics, Physiology and Math in high school and I am currenty( in college) takin Chemistry 1 lecture and Lab with other classes that are requried for general education( middle eastern studies, economic, and Hindi) My question is would I be able to tranfer to an Indian Medical school after completing my first semster/year in college or it would be EXTREMLY difficult?

1) Which are some schools that accept NRI from US and what are thier requirements?

2) How would I contact those schools as not every schhols has a website?

3) Would that school ask me for donation? if yes how much?

4) Would I be able to come back in the US after getting my MBBS and be able to pass the USMLE exams?

I am seriously thinking about this option and it would be very helpful if someone( especially ASHISH can answer those questions as he himself is a medical student in India).
Thnaks a lot for any input.[/b]
Medicine40
Gunner
Gunner

Postby ashish_padnani » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:55 am

hii
Now, whether or not u are eligible for this, you ll have to confirm this with the mci... Call mci and ask them...
www.mciindia.org

also... here is the list of recognized medical colleges in India
http://www.mciindia.org/apps/search/show_colleges.asp

here they have the websites for many colleges..

U can also select the colleges based on states thru the above link... u ll also have to decide whether living in a particular state is ur priority or the insitituition ..

Also, Manipal university has a program in which you ve to 2 yrs of under grad education in India and the last two years of clinical education in the US.. that way u can gain US clinical experience so that u dont have any problems ahead in getting residency

the donation of the medical colleges here in India varies from abt Rs. 25lakhs to Rs. 50 lakhs

it ll be easy for u to giv USMLE exams and go back US again... they are not very tough exams... dont worry abt that... many students here give USMLE...

hope this helps

any more questions are welcome!
ashish_padnani
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby Medicine40 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks a lot Ashish. May I know which school you are currently attending?
Medicine40
Gunner
Gunner

Postby ashish_padnani » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi
I study in the Smt NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad.
It also has seats for NRI students.
the website is www.nhlmmcgym.com
Try to contact them by phone. They may not respond you by email.
The phone no. is +91 79 26576275

Best

Ashish
ashish_padnani
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby Medicine40 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:27 am

Hey, again thanks for your reply.
I have a question. In Smt. nhl .municpal medical college application for NRI studnets it mentions the term FIRST M.B.B.S course and i am confusued on that. does that mean they only accept one NRI student per calender cycle?

Also, will you please brief me on how competitve is it to gain an admission to ANY medical college in India for an NRI? what is the admission commitee looking for in an applicant?

also would you recommend visiting the schools i am interested in?

Thanks again...i will be having more questions as i find out more!!
Medicine40
Gunner
Gunner

Next