Taking August 20th MCAT...Last minute study/prep advice

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Taking August 20th MCAT...Last minute study/prep advice

Postby jsheikh786 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 am

Hey everyone. I know people post hundreds of threads of advice for their last minute cramming. But i thought id get a fresh collectlive perspective on things by creating my own new thread. I take the MCAT August 20th, and i am really worried because i know im not as prepared as i should be. Any last minute tips, advice, habits, schedules or anything anyone did which they felt was most beneficial in this time away from the MCAT?

ANY suggestions are helpful. Thanks
jsheikh786
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby desijigga » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:47 am

How have you been doing on practice tests? you still have plenty of time to take as many practice exams as possible. Then review the q's to understand why you got it right or wrong.

Mine is on August 14, so all I have been doing is Kaplan and AAMC practice exams.

GOODLUCK
desijigga
Gunner
Gunner

Postby jsheikh786 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:20 pm

not too good haha.....bio-8's, phys-9's, verb-7's.... I have no idea how to get my verbal up. I understand with bio and phys all you have to do is memorize concepts/process/systems/equations and etc. But verbal im lacking no other. good luck with yours as well
jsheikh786
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby will381796 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:49 pm

jsheikh786 wrote:not too good haha.....bio-8's, phys-9's, verb-7's.... I have no idea how to get my verbal up. I understand with bio and phys all you have to do is memorize concepts/process/systems/equations and etc. But verbal im lacking no other. good luck with yours as well

Bio and Physical science isn't just memorizing. You need to know how to apply the information. The MCAT isn't so much a knowledge test as it is a test of your ability to apply your knowledge. Simple memorization won't get you the score you need on the MCAT.
B.S. in Biology
The University of Texas at San Antonio
GPA: 3.6
MCAT: Not yet
will381796
Fellow
Fellow

Postby desijigga » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:54 pm

I'm doing decent in VR and PS sections, getting 10's and 9's (also some 11s) . But BS is killing me, highest I got so far is a 8 (Im only getting like 3-6 of the orgo q's right). Remember for PS and BS its not just memorizing, you also have to be able to master the passages. I guess Im not a good person to give advice for the BS part... LOL.

As for the VR section, best thing to do is read the passage and try to grasp the main idea. I recommend getting the EK verbal book, it has some great tips. Also most of the q's for VR you can get the right answer by just looking at the question and going thru the choices.

I you haven't tried the AAMC tests, take some they are the best predictors for your actual scores.
desijigga
Gunner
Gunner

Next