lowest known MCAT score for Do acceptance

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

lowest known MCAT score for Do acceptance

Postby sankdafide » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:45 pm

I'm sure there are a million posts like this one, but I'm not familiar with the search function. if there is another post like this, please just supply the link.

Anyway... What is the lowest score you have personally heard of for acceptance into a DO school and which school was it (that part is important).
sankdafide
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby desijigga » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:35 pm

It really depends on your GPA and extracirr. activities. Some people that have 3.8-3.9 might get in with only a 21-23 MCAT, however someone with a 3.1-3.2 GPA might need a 30-31 MCAT to get in. DO schools as you know look at the whole package, not just the grades and MCAT scores. If you have a great background in medical field and have something to offer that might out weigh the MCAT score or gpa.

The minimum standards the schools have posted is just so they can get a lot of applications, more applications = more money!!!. Of course they would like to get someone that has a 4.0 GPA and a 30 MCAT. Higher GPAs and MCAT scores means more money and federal grants for schools.

I read one post saying they got into VCOM, with a 3.6 gpa and 20 MCAT. I read on the VCOM website that they factor the GPA more into their decision making then other factors.
desijigga
Gunner
Gunner

Postby sankdafide » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Thanks, that was really helpful!!!! I appreciate it. Hopefully the fact that I will have a double degree, that I had a research internship this summer, that I've studied abroad, that I volunteer as a medical translator, and have shadowed two doctors (that also provided recommendations) will be enough. My GPA is 3.68 (don't know how many digits to round to), and I won't know my MCAT score until the dreaded day of Aug. 14th.

I welcome any others that have heard of scores, gpa's, and which school they were accepted to.
sankdafide
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby will381796 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:25 pm

sankdafide wrote:Thanks, that was really helpful!!!! I appreciate it. Hopefully the fact that I will have a double degree, that I had a research internship this summer, that I've studied abroad, that I volunteer as a medical translator, and have shadowed two doctors (that also provided recommendations) will be enough. My GPA is 3.68 (don't know how many digits to round to), and I won't know my MCAT score until the dreaded day of Aug. 14th.

I welcome any others that have heard of scores, gpa's, and which school they were accepted to.

Your GPA is great for DO and MD schools. 26+ MCAT for DO or 30+ MCAT for MD and you should be set.

Are you applying DO because you agree more with their philosophy of medicine or because you don't think you'll get into an MD school? Just curious...
B.S. in Biology
The University of Texas at San Antonio
GPA: 3.6
MCAT: Not yet
will381796
Fellow
Fellow

Postby sankdafide » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:32 pm

because I agree more with the philosophy, plus my great grandfather was blind and the DO schools took him in, which gives me a little respect for the DO institution. He ended up being an amazing doctor.
sankdafide
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next