becoming an emt

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

Postby sm » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:21 pm

roughly how much is the pay to be an EMT either on an ambulance or as a tech in a hospital? im going to be living in an expensive city soon and it would help to have good paying job.

I am applying to med school right now so i have a year to work. Is it even work getting my cert right now and then getting a job as an emt or since so little time left it would be hard to find job?

Thanks,
SM
sm

Postby CC64 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:43 pm

If you consider the amount of money that you make in a job/profession to be equivalent to the number of hours of training recieved...EMT-basic training is a minimum of 110 hours classroom time; that is a national standard that may be upped by individual states. That also doesn't count for the number of hours of patient care time, either in an ED or on an ambulance, that states will require before sending you your card or even allowing you to take the test.

Or, most of the EMTs that I know make about $10/hour. Some places pay less, some pay more. Paramedics do make more, but that is a year of training, plus there is a requirement that you be an EMT-B first.

The best thing to do, sm, should you decide to go the EMT route, would be to look up the EMS training center for your county. Most of them offer condensed summer courses, but at this time of year it may be too late. Otherwise, you're looking at a full semester for training - 3-4 hours a night, two nights a week, with the occasional weekend training session for some of the more involved technical stuff (vehicular rescue, trauma treatments, practical exams)

Emmccull - I've heard good things about some of the online training courses, but aren't they rather expensive, since you have to go to them for the labs, even if you're from out of state?
CC64

Re: becoming an emt

Postby Sameer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Get CPR-certified, Enroll in an EMT certification program and Pass the National Registry EMT-Basic Exam (NREMT).
Sameer
Scutophile
Scutophile

Previous | 

Return to Health Technicians