Do school Chances

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue May 29, 2007 7:11 pm

well, it depends on the DO school. I attend West virginia School of osteopathic medicine (WVSOM) and i didn't shadow a DO which makes me think it is not an absolute must for this school.

If you can find a DO to shadow that might not be a bad idea. I was asked whether i shadowed a DO and i said NO! because there wasn't any DO in my area i could find.

some school require LOR from DO. you should ask the schools u intend on applying to. They will be happy to tell you.

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby tms2 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:55 am

OlufunshoBY wrote:well, it depends on the DO school. I attend West virginia School of osteopathic medicine (WVSOM) and i didn't shadow a DO which makes me think it is not an absolute must for this school.

If you can find a DO to shadow that might not be a bad idea. I was asked whether i shadowed a DO and i said NO! because there wasn't any DO in my area i could find.

some school require LOR from DO. you should ask the schools u intend on applying to. They will be happy to tell you.

good luck

thanks for the feedback. Yeah, actually by shadowing a D.O. i meant doing so for the sake of shadowing, and at the same time to get the LOR from him/her.
About your school, are you a WV resident? I am planning to apply to your school and just wanted to know what year you got accepted and your stats if possible.
I am also planning to apply to Lake Erie college in PA. It seems i have close stats to those schools!
tms2
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Do school Chances

Postby mg4343 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Someone brought up a very good point on here. I'm really tired of hearing about people that got accepted to a bunch of schools because they did very well on their MCAt but they have next to know medical experience/volunteer experience. What happened to your advisor always saying "You need a lot of experience, blah blah blah". Why would a med. school accept someone who did next to nothing in a field as rigorous as medicine. Just because they did well on an admissions test? If you were such an applicant, what kind of personal statemetn could you write about why you are so passionate about medicine? Basically some of it has to do with arrogance. These are institutions run by people who have spent their whole life in academics. It is a club.
I'm looking forward to applying to DO schools this year. My GPA and MCAT is good and I have TONS of experience, including military. You have a better chance of a DO school looking at you as a whole person than an MD school.
mg4343

Previous | 

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)