Do school Chances

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Do school Chances

Postby docJJ » Sun May 27, 2007 11:47 am

I just got my MCAt scores back and was quite disappointed with my scores. I got a 25 and have a 3.6 GPA. I was wondering what my chances are for both allopathic and osteopathic schools, and if I should retake the MCAt or not?

Thanks
docJJ

Postby OlufunshoBY » Sun May 27, 2007 8:12 pm

you have a good GPA. Your MCAT is not great but it not that bad either. If i were you, i will apply to selected school especially med school in your state of residence that are not private.

I think you can get into a DO school with that stat because i have seen it happen but might be bit harder for allopathic.

Either way, you will need a strong LOR, good extracurricular activity and a captivating personal statement. Remember your application is in the pool of other application with 4.0, 30 (and above) MCAT score.

Not to discourage you but just pointing out fact. Do ur research about schools with GPA and MCAT score in your range and then apply to the ones you feel positive about.

You could take the test again, if you are sure you can do better. I would not recommend taking it again if you think you are in a panick mode; its only going to get worse.

if you must take it again, figure out what you need to improve on first and work on it.

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Re: Do school Chances

Postby tms2 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:45 am

docJJ wrote:I just got my MCAt scores back and was quite disappointed with my scores. I got a 25 and have a 3.6 GPA. I was wondering what my chances are for both allopathic and osteopathic schools, and if I should retake the MCAt or not?

Thanks

in 2006 i appliedto 22 MD schools. My stats were 240 and 3.77. IN return, i recieved 22 letters of rejection. The mistake i made was that i didn't apply to D.O. schools, which i'm going to do this year!!

From my experience, i'll tell you this: schools stress the point that they'd consider your application as whole, and not as a buch of numbers, well...reality check! they don't! All they care about is primarily your MCAT score, then your GPA.

One of my friends did not do any medical volunteering or shadowing, aand had no clinical experience whatsoever. His GPA was 3.4, but still got accepted to 4 medical school, one which granted him a full scholarship. Why? because he scored a 35T on his MCAT. Period!!

I also know tons of people with the same case senario.
I hate to say it, but you, like every other applicant, is nothing but a number to the addmissions committe. Think about it, if you were an admissions committe member, why would you grant acceptance to someone with a 24 mcat instead of a 35 mcat. Student's entering with high scores will raise the standards of the university! So i really don't blame the admission people for their decisions.

To get into an MD school, you have to have high numbers and if called for an interview, you have to be a GOOD ACTOR. They don't want honesty, they want you to give them what they want to hear. If you can do that, you'll get accepted.

Also, if you know someone in the committe, then you're in! One of my friends' father is a distant relative in an MD school. She told me that their relative was the reason the got accepted. She had a 22 on the MCAT.

Please don't tell that everyone who goes into medicine is doing so to help people!! that is lame. People can help others by volunteering, doing social work or other stuff. So why don't they? Well, because those other stuff don't come with money and prestige. That's why! Most of today's doctors, and the future ones, went in for those reasons. They told me that in full honesty. One physician told me, "think of medicine as a long term investment"

I am sorry for being aggressive in this response. It is not aimed at you. I am just sick and tired of seeing hypocrite and actors getting accepted when i've trying to get into a school since 2001! I used to live in another continent where the system is that you start medical school right after high school, a 6 year program (there are few schools in the US that have this system). Anyway, my grades weren't good enough, so i decded to give it another shot. To do so, i had to repeat an entire year of highschool, because they only accept traditional students. Still, to no avail. I later came to the U.S. and here i had to do a bachelor's degree. Can you believe this. All these years just to get a lousy acceptance.

I applied to the caribbean and got an acceptance to AUC, but somehow it got messed up that by the time i recieved the priliminary acceptance, the seats were full.
Hell with the caribbean, i going to apply to D.O. school
tms2
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Do school Chances

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 am

tms2 wrote:
docJJ wrote:I just got my MCAt scores back and was quite disappointed with my scores. I got a 25 and have a 3.6 GPA. I was wondering what my chances are for both allopathic and osteopathic schools, and if I should retake the MCAt or not?

Thanks

in 2006 i appliedto 22 MD schools. My stats were 240 and 3.77. IN return, i recieved 22 letters of rejection. The mistake i made was that i didn't apply to D.O. schools, which i'm going to do this year!!

From my experience, i'll tell you this: schools stress the point that they'd consider your application as whole, and not as a buch of numbers, well...reality check! they don't! All they care about is primarily your MCAT score, then your GPA.

One of my friends did not do any medical volunteering or shadowing, aand had no clinical experience whatsoever. His GPA was 3.4, but still got accepted to 4 medical school, one which granted him a full scholarship. Why? because he scored a 35T on his MCAT. Period!!

I also know tons of people with the same case senario.
I hate to say it, but you, like every other applicant, is nothing but a number to the addmissions committe. Think about it, if you were an admissions committe member, why would you grant acceptance to someone with a 24 mcat instead of a 35 mcat. Student's entering with high scores will raise the standards of the university! So i really don't blame the admission people for their decisions.

To get into an MD school, you have to have high numbers and if called for an interview, you have to be a GOOD ACTOR. They don't want honesty, they want you to give them what they want to hear. If you can do that, you'll get accepted.

Also, if you know someone in the committe, then you're in! One of my friends' father is a distant relative in an MD school. She told me that their relative was the reason the got accepted. She had a 22 on the MCAT.

Please don't tell that everyone who goes into medicine is doing so to help people!! that is lame. People can help others by volunteering, doing social work or other stuff. So why don't they? Well, because those other stuff don't come with money and prestige. That's why! Most of today's doctors, and the future ones, went in for those reasons. They told me that in full honesty. One physician told me, "think of medicine as a long term investment"

I am sorry for being aggressive in this response. It is not aimed at you. I am just sick and tired of seeing hypocrite and actors getting accepted when i've trying to get into a school since 2001! I used to live in another continent where the system is that you start medical school right after high school, a 6 year program (there are few schools in the US that have this system). Anyway, my grades weren't good enough, so i decded to give it another shot. To do so, i had to repeat an entire year of highschool, because they only accept traditional students. Still, to no avail. I later came to the U.S. and here i had to do a bachelor's degree. Can you believe this. All these years just to get a lousy acceptance.

I applied to the caribbean and got an acceptance to AUC, but somehow it got messed up that by the time i recieved the priliminary acceptance, the seats were full.
Hell with the caribbean, i going to apply to D.O. school

i would agree with you that med school admission is a numbers game. But i don't agree that school don't look at the applicants as a whole. I think you are about to find that out in your next round of applications. I have seen students with low MCAT get into school without knowing someone in the admission committee. I know this because i am in class with them. There is always a particular quality besides number admission committee can latch onto and make that a deciding factor.

Well believe it or not, some admission committe can see right thru acting. While i also admit, you need to be a good actor, your good acting. better come with some honesty. The all round thing is more common with DO schools than MD schools though.

Like i said to the previous poster, you have to pick your battle about the school you apply to, most applicants pick schools based on their desire instead of based on their score. The moment you can admit the fact that your score would not get u into any big (ivy league) med school, the easier it is for you.

All in all, i think you make a good point. It's a bitter truth but is the truth. About why you go into medicine and the whole long term investment thing. Everyone go into medicine for different reason, maybe the physician you spoke to went into it for long-term investment. You will also find another physician that would disagree not becuase they are lying but because their own view is different.

good luck.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby tms2 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:56 am

thanks for the feedback
i totally understand you point and agree with it.

I assume you are a current D.O. student?

If so, is it true that i have to shadow a D.O. physician to gain extra points during admission? I have already shadowed 2 M.D. physicians, volunteered in a hospital for 3 months, and worked as a bioanalytical researcher for 2 years.
tms2
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)