Interested in pathology: should I apply to DO or MD?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Interested in pathology: should I apply to DO or MD?

Postby borisovna » Wed May 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Hello everybody,
I am preparing for MCAT that I am planning to take in June, and finishing up my last pre-requisite (ochem). I am interested in pathology because I worked in a clinical lab assisting pathologists with bone marrow collections and staining slides. I find pathology very interesting. I heard that DO schools are equivalent to MD in preparing students in many specialities but not all of them (like surgery, for example). Can I apply to DO schools and be a competitive candidate for pathology residency once I graduate?
borisovna

Re: Interested in pathology: should I apply to DO or MD?

Postby DOdoc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:32 am

These are very old posts, but contain good questions. With application season approaching, there is value in reviewing some basic information.

For this question, I can think of no reason an MD and DO cannot practice in any field. An MD will need only the USMLE. A DO must take the COMLEX but is also eligible to take the USMLE. As a whole, this is the only difference between the two paths, and one in which the DO has an advantage. One would need to look at specific programs to see which board is accepted, and the DO who takes both (or at minimum in some cases, step 1) is eligible for any program. MD students are only eligible for allopathic residency programs--which makes sense since they do not learn OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine) which is required for the DO to finish osteopathic school. Other than that, there is no difference and both students stand equal chance of acceptance if the board scores are competitive.

Good luck,
Dr. F.
DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Interested in pathology: should I apply to DO or MD?

Postby Sameer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:55 am

Pathology is a medical specialty that provides the scientific foundation for medical practice. The pathologist works with all other medical specialties, using the tools of laboratory medicine to provide information essential to problem solving in clinical practice.
Sameer
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)