EMT Basic Certificate

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

EMT Basic Certificate

Postby vanasme » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:35 am

I'm currently a college freshman finishing up my first year and I'm looking at my summer options. I'm thinking about enrolling in the EMT Basic Certificate program at a college near home and I was just wondering how much this would actually help my med-school application. I obviously know that I need a strong GPA and MCAT score, but is going through the EMT Basic Certificate program going to help much? My pre-med advisor recommended that I do it and I trust his judgement. The only reason that I have a minor objection is because I just landed a 40 hours a week summer job and I would have to give this up and try to find some other type of summer employment if I do the EMT Basic program. My pre-med advisor told me that the certificate would help me land some better volunteer positions that would look better on med school applications, instead of just pushing papers somewhere in a hospital. So I guess my question is: is it worth giving up my great summer job to get my EMT Basic certificate? I'm pretty sure I could find some other type of part time employment, but I could use the cash from a full-time job.
vanasme

Postby blooteeth » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:44 am

The certificate alone is worthless. You have to put it to good use either by working as an EMT or maybe a ED tech at a hospital.
blooteeth
Fellow
Fellow

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:28 am

Personally, EMT doesn't improve your chance of getting into med school. The EMT certificate will be something personal to you. In other words, you should only be doing it because you want to do it and want to get an exposure to a bit of medicine.

If you are doing it for your own personal gain of experience, then that's fine. You could put it on your resume but it won't really carry any weight on its own. What you do with it, is what matters.

If you plan on using it for volunteering, then you can do the part time option (summer job) just to get the certification.

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby vanasme » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 pm

I realize that the certificate alone won't do much, I'm just hoping that it will help me getter better volunteer positions that I can use on my application. I'm already volunteering this summer at my local hospital, but when I come back to school in the fall, I'm hoping that I can land a better volunteer position that will look better than just pushing papers in a hospital. I'm also really interested in it, so I think that I will just try to find a different part time job and get certified. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it will allow me to get a better volunteer position... we shall see.
vanasme

Re: EMT Basic Certificate

Postby aileenwilliams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 am

Online Basic EMT courses are available from a number of different providers, including commercial third party organizations, colleges and even hospitals. Many of these online options are hybrid courses with an in-person component, while others are fully-online courses that are certified by appropriate authorities and provide the proper credentials for EMTs to seek certification.
aileenwilliams

Next

Return to Health Technicians