Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Postby docelmore27 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Hello all,

I would like to get an idea if I will be competitive. I have GPA scores of 3.50 in First-year comp with honors english, 3.83 in general studies, 3.60 major (I am a BS biochem major), and a 3.31 college/school. I transferred to ASU after geeting my AS at a community college. I was intially a business major who went into the US Army as a combat medic and excelled and became the lead line medic (those who go on missions with the combat elements) for a battalion. I am now out and finishing a biochemistry degree and am getting recommendations from the surgeons and leaders I worked under in the military. My college/school GPA appears lower than my overall because it only currently includes the two semesters from ASU and I got a C in calc II which is weighted at 5 CU so that hurt. The second semester of my junior years was a much better 3.72 I believe including an A in biochemistry. I have been doing research in the field for 3 semesters including one semester in biology as an Honors student doing additional research in mathematical tumor modeling. I have now done a year of research with living bees at ASU which I have been now brought on as an employee to continue. I just recently took my MCAT so I do not have scores, quite the test that is! I was told by my advisor that the schools will pick and choose the classes they use scores from when I requested to retake Calculus in order to increase my GPA but was told it is not allowed for any classes where a C or better was received. Some sites suggest that a computer will run through scores before a person even looks at them which worries me because my progress report cumulative does not take into account the science courses I took before transferring which I have done well in. All A's and a few B's. Should I be worried about this?

Thank you in advance for any help.
docelmore27

Postby foville1859 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39 am

Hello! The overall GPA for two years at Arizona State is 3.3, is that correct, couldn't quite follow the numbers in the first part.

Also, the transcript and grades from the associates degree have to be included in the AMCAS application, so that may affect it.

MCAT is really important, it's hard to say without knowing the results, what range of schools your application is numerically competitive at. There is some truth about the computerization of the first stage of the application review at many schools

I wouldn't retake Calculus just to prove the point of getting a better grade in the same class, just take more science classes in some other subject to raise the science GPA.
foville1859
Gunner
Gunner

Postby docelmore27 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 am

Overall for ASU is 3.3 but that is only 1 actual year, my junior year. The first semester was not great due to the weight of calc II butt the second semester was much stronger with I think 3 A's and 2B's which leveled it out. I took my other classes at Scottsdale community college for cost and transition reasons as I got out of the Army. So My overall GPA would be greater than what is suggested on my "university GPA" because on my degree progress report that category only includes the two semesters from ASU which includes the one less than stellar semester. But I would like to apply so that I can transition from graduation in spring to med school in the fall of 2014 so I don't want to wait until after senior year to apply, then and take a year off before going. I am already 28 and would like to transition ASAP. I did well in my other sciences, it's just that my current progress report only includes those grades from this specific school in my "university GPA" and I don't know how my other sciences will be incorporated by the computers.
docelmore27

Postby docelmore27 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 am

Oh and thank you for the input foville1859
docelmore27

Postby cnacram » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:03 pm

this looks like a great resource tools. I like the MCAT scores analysis better.
cnacram
Scutophile
Scutophile

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum