Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Postby brand5684 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 am

Hi all, I finished my undergrad in 2007 BA in Philosophy with cgpa 3.2 and sgpa 3.8, and just finished post bacc with a 3.7 overall (175 hours total). My first mcat was 29 and my second is 31, have over 100 hours volunteer shadowing, ER and also good LORs from MDs and professors. I went to community college for the first two years that's why my science gpa is higher, took CHM 1 & 2/BIO/STATS there. I took Orgo 1 & 2/Physics 1 & 2 and BIO 2 in post bacc at 4 year. Not sure that changes anything for admission purposes but figured I would add it just in case. What are my chances getting in.
brand5684

Postby health2100 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 pm

brand5684 wrote:Hi all, I finished my undergrad in 2007 BA in Philosophy with cgpa 3.2 and sgpa 3.8, and just finished post bacc with a 3.7 overall (175 hours total). My first mcat was 29 and my second is 31, have over 100 hours volunteer shadowing, ER and also good LORs from MDs and professors. I went to community college for the first two years that's why my science gpa is higher, took CHM 1 & 2/BIO/STATS there. I took Orgo 1 & 2/Physics 1 & 2 and BIO 2 in post bacc at 4 year. Not sure that changes anything for admission purposes but figured I would add it just in case. What are my chances getting in.

Hi your chances are fairly good for less competitive medical school. Just do well on interview.
health2100

Postby Brady Kinesia » Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm

chand1027 wrote:Hey guys!!
I just graduated and I am planning on doing a post bacc next year. I was wondering on everyone's opinions on my chances of getting into med school and I am interested in any suggestion u guys have.
my under grad gpa is 3.394
my mcat scores:
PS: 9
BS: 10
V: 4
WR: M

Contrary to what many people may think, the Verbal and the essay Writing are important to the practice of medicine, that's why they are tested subjects. It is true that most physicians are not "poets", and most are not even very skilled writers. But, it's also true that there is an enormous amount of paperwork and correspondence letters involved when you are doing clinical medicine.

This can be unfair to the foreign-born students who come from the background in which English was not their first language or not the most commonly used discourse in their educations. But life is unfair, and if you want to compete for admission to USA med schools, the verbal aspects are part of the requirements.
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby health2100 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

You chanced are poor with you current scores. Do well in post bacc and study for the mcat to get at least 30-32 for the md school or 27-28for the do school.
health2100

Postby premedman1235 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi,

I am quite new to using forums, but felt that it was necessary that I ask one question. The question is should I apply to medical school, masters in medical science, or take additional undergraduate classes, in order to enhance my application. My science GPA is a 3.75 and my cGPA is a 3.6. I transferred two times. The purpose of my first transfer was to attend an undergraduate institution with a good law school. I sought out to become a lawyer, because I was practicing real estate while completing my undergraduate degree. Then I was diagnosed with cancer. I underwent 6 months of chemotherapy treatment. Thereafter, I became a volunteer at the hospital. Likewise, I transferred to a top 100 ranked national university, in order to find research a good premed program. My experiences from having cancer to being a survivor and volunteer are integral to why I am applying to become a physician. My practice MCAT scores have been between a 36 to 40. I will be taking the MCAT in the near future. I've had an upward trend from a 2.7 freshman year to a 3.6 now. Therefore, I wish to ask once again. Should I apply to medical school this year or keep on taking courses to raise my GPA above a 3.7? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
premedman1235

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum