PharmD to MD

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

PharmD to MD

Postby NM31 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi,
This is my first post...just wanted some advice from anybody who may be in a similar situation. I had originally applied to medical school back in 1997. I had a 3.8 GPA (3.9 science/ 3.7 non-science) and a 33R on my MCAT along with the usual extracurriculars. I did not get into a single medical school that I applied to... to this day I don't know why.. I was so frustrated I gave up medicine and went to pharmacy school instead which was a big mistake on my part. I've never enjoyed pharmacy and I want to go back into medicine...but the hard part will be to give up the income and live the student's life again. Any input would be appreciated...
NM31
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Well, My friend here will post you should do a post bac and MCAT and go through that, Since that advice will come, Yeah good advice ,
I have something different to give you to think about.

People like us sometimes look at the time and just want to be a DOC and not go through years of struggle again nor do we have the time due to our age.

(Don't know how old you are? 30? maybe? A little older?) SO they go to a Caribbean school I think you may even have a shot at SABA or MUA Nevis, I know AUA and St. James would accept you with those stats, MCATs for SABA is sometimes waived and the other three do not require them.

Now this is an option but it has pros and Cons:

Pro: You can start as soon as accepted, there are loans you can take out for school and living.
You will be an MD, 16 to 18 months away at school, with breaks 3 times a year to go home then the US for clinicals. SABA all 50 states for Lic.

Cons: MUA N, AUA and St. James do not have California for Lic and KS but the rest of the US is ok.
You will be an FMG this matters for the match in some cases but a good Step one score is the most important thing.
Some SPecialties are harder to get into as an FMG ( not impossible)

There you have it.

Ask away, there is a Pharm D in my class and a NP in the MD1 class, I'm an RN. We decided this would work for us. :wink:
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby NM31 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Yea, I just turned 30 this year..... going to look at all of the options that are out there. Thanks for the info on the Carribean schools since I live in CA and would eventually like to practice here. I'll do some more research on SABA and MUA Nevis. You're definitely right about not wanting to go through the struggle again...

Have you or anybody else heard anything about the 5 year program for pharmacists at the university of antigua?
http://www.uhsa.ag/pstudent/fycp/pharmacist/

Its part online and part going to labs and school there... just want to see if anybody has actually gone through a program like this? Or does anybody know how reputable the program is?
NM31
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:51 am

NM31 wrote:Yea, I just turned 30 this year..... going to look at all of the options that are out there. Thanks for the info on the Carribean schools since I live in CA and would eventually like to practice here. I'll do some more research on SABA and MUA Nevis. You're definitely right about not wanting to go through the struggle again...

Have you or anybody else heard anything about the 5 year program for pharmacists at the university of antigua?
http://www.uhsa.ag/pstudent/fycp/pharmacist/

Its part online and part going to labs and school there... just want to see if anybody has actually gone through a program like this? Or does anybody know how reputable the program is?

Well I would stay away from online Courses because some states have said they will not License such MD degrees and others have banned them and said they are diploma mills. No advanced standing is allowed either unless you are a transfer from another Medical school. Please be careful

http://www.studentdoc.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 8948#18948

My post about Medical schools in the Caribbean.

Also there are only 4 schools in the Caribbean California Approved if you do not go to one of those you will not be able to practice in California:

SGU, ROSS, SABA, and AUC. SABA is the only one I know that taken a handful without an MCAT, AUC has in the past and so has Ross but I hear thats no more, SGU flat out will not. A good place to read a lot about these schools is www.ValueMD.com where some of the students post, but it is a problem site with all kinds of arguments and such. You can learn some things there though. :wink:

Also I added a List of links to the States Boards and other resources to check on international schools:

http://www.studentdoc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5144
Last edited by CaribMD on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby anamaky » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:54 pm

heehee, I think CaribMD might be referring to me as the friend sugesting the post bac, but let me shock myself and him and say that I don't think you should do a post bac at all. I think the first thing you should do immediately is to make an appointment with a couple of CA med schools Deans of admissions and talk about your individual situation and see what your options are. I suspect that if you'd like to stay state side, you'll only need to retake the MCAT. The PharmD and the previously high GPA are more than adequate, your MCAT score is pretty good, too, but unfortunately it's expired. I don't know why you did not get accepted with those stats back then, but I have a good feeling about this. Talk to a dean or two before you make any decisions.
anamaky
Medical Student Moderator
Medical Student Moderator

Next