DO orthopedic residency

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

DO orthopedic residency

Postby cal565 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am

I am really interested in going to DO school but my ultimate goal is to be an orthopedic surgeon. My question is; Are your chances of getting a orthopedic surgery residency out of DO school just as good as MD schoo? I realize that there are several Osteopathic Orthopedic surgery residencies but not as many as the allopathic, but I also realize that there are less people graduating from DO schools every year to compete for these also. So are my chances of matching to an ortho residency just as good from DO school as MD? Thanks
cal565

Postby R&EOGG » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 pm

This is a little off topic and may not be an avenue you're interested in, but the Military has about a 98% match rate in any specialty, except for neurosurgery, which is about 50%. If your ultimate goal is to be an orthopedic surgeon, and you're willing to give a little time to the government, this statistic is very encouraging in terms of making your goal a reality. I am looking into the Airforce myself. If I take out a three year scholarship, I would owe the Airforce three years back. They pay for all of your tuition, fees, and most equipment, and give you about a $1300 living stipend a month. Also, you will make about twice as much money during residency compared to civilian residencies. $60,000 compared to low to mid 30's.
R&EOGG

Postby DeepRoller » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 pm

No, the chances are even better (assuming you make good on the USMLE part 1)!
Why? Because DO students can participate in not only the DO-only match, but the allopathic match as well. So you have quite a few more oppurtunities to you than are available to the MD's.

Michael
DeepRoller
Gunner
Gunner

Postby cal565 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:30 am

But what are the chances of a DO graduate matching into a allopathic orthopedic program?
cal565

Postby DeepRoller » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:17 pm

That is dependent on you USMLE part I scores.
Orthopedic programs are very competitive, so you probably have to have a rather high score.
Being a DO doesn't necessarily mean anything...especially if your USMLE part I is 4 std. deviations above the mean!

Michael
DeepRoller
Gunner
Gunner

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)