DO schools & surgical residency?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

DO schools & surgical residency?

Postby dazd&confusd » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:15 am

I'm looking for some feedback regarding the DO schools that will give me the best chance of landing a surgical residency. This can certainly be a matter of reputation, prep for boards, etc, so I will welcome all thoughts and perspectives.
dazd&confusd

Postby vbarbato » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:22 pm

The top two DO schools are Michigan State and West Virginia. In fact they are in the top 50 medical schools in the U.S. according to USNews (both allopathic and osteopathic). However, this is for primary care, and West Virginia has the highest percentage rate of graduates going into primary care at I believe 87% (this once again is both allopathic and osteopathic). With that being said it all comes down to clinical rotation grades and board scores, as well as good letters of rec. These happen to be the very good schools as far as quality of education and reputation go. I also had an interview at NOVA Southeaster in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. and I was very impressed with this school. Speaking with the students there it seemed to me that many of them were interested in areas outside of primary care such as surgery, dermatology, sports medicine etc. This school also has a very good reputation.
vbarbato
Sub-I
Sub-I

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)