School personalities and differences?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

School personalities and differences?

Postby Needlegirl » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:37 pm

Hello,
I'm planning to start in 2007. I had my school all picked out, but in the past week a family emergency has nixed that option (long story). So, here I am, already too late to apply for some schools, desperately trying to do the research I could have been doing for the past year. If only I had known. Worst case scenario, I can apply next year, but I'd rather get going.

Although older (35) than most, I am a strong applicant. I have excellent grades and an MCAT score of 35. I'm an acupuncturist, so I want a school that is at least a little bit open to alternative medicine. I'm willing to go either DO or MD. My long term plan is family med.

Which schools treat you well? My husband's med school was outrageously abusive. Which offer really top-notch training? Which support you and help you be an amazing doctor?

Who out there is happy or angry about the school you chose?
Thanks!

PS - I'm leaving out the names of the two I mentioned to avoid affecting the results.
Needlegirl
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby this_barb » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 pm

I think, from a personal experience, everyone here could only give you biased answers as you can't attend more than 1 med school at a time. :lol: Just don't apply to any schools in NJ. UMDNJ is riddled in financial scandals atm. That's my 2 cents.
this_barb
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Needlegirl » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:15 am

Everyone's been to at least two schools - their undergrad & medical. You know if you've been happy or not, and how the majority of your class feels. Do you spend your day cursing evil emails from the President, or focusing on your studies? Are the policies fair? How much emphasis is put on OMM? Are they more clinically or research oriented? Family or specialty-driven? Are the people friendly? A good education is the most important thing, but I want to protect my quality of life, too.

Can anybody point me to websites that rank schools by culture / satisfaction / or at least report their overall emphasis? I don't want to wind up at a research school.

Thanks!
Needlegirl
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby DeepRoller » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:53 am

From what I can tell the schools that focus on OMM the most are Kirksville, and oddly enough, the University of New England. Some people say that the new DeBusk School at Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tennesee is really going to focus on the more-traditional osteopathic stuff. I hope so.
Good news is...it's definitely not to late to apply to any of those.
Good to have you on here!

Michael
DeepRoller
Gunner
Gunner

Postby mdille2 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:11 am

Needlegirl wrote:Everyone's been to at least two schools - their undergrad & medical. You know if you've been happy or not, and how the majority of your class feels. Do you spend your day cursing evil emails from the President, or focusing on your studies? Are the policies fair? How much emphasis is put on OMM? Are they more clinically or research oriented? Family or specialty-driven? Are the people friendly? A good education is the most important thing, but I want to protect my quality of life, too.

Can anybody point me to websites that rank schools by culture / satisfaction / or at least report their overall emphasis? I don't want to wind up at a research school.

Thanks!

These are questions that you can get the answer to at the interview. There are usually students there to talk to and when you interview...They are trying to woo you as much as you are trying to woo them. You can get a feel for the importance of OMM and research during the presentations. Also, sometimes you can get in touch with students at that school before the interviews. I am not sure which schools do this, but I have heard of people doing it. Call the schools and tell them you would like more info on their program, and ask if you could email or speak with a present student.
Marcia
mdille2
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)