Please, my chances to get into a DO school?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Please, my chances to get into a DO school?

Postby helpmenow » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:39 am

Hello all, new to the forum here, well actually have always read up, first time posting, your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have graduated college with a Bachelors in Biology with a 3.12 GPA. My grades were low initially, but the increase and improvements in my grades can be significantly noted.

I stayed out a year(currently this year) to do a graduate level program. Its called a Masters in Biotechnology and Chemical analysis from Roosevelt University Chicago. Classes right now include, molecular bio, cell bio, devl bio, research, biochem. I would be done before Fall 2007. I did this program just so I could show schools that continuing progress and have grades to show for it, in addition its a graduate program and just being in it let alone doing well must mean something.

I have substantial volunteer work experience, non-profit health clinics, hospital, international volunteer work. Shadowed. Work a part-time job. Active leadership roles in school organizations. Many non-health volunteer activities as well.

With all that said, i just got my MCAT scores, the breakdown was 9V, 7B, 6P. basically a 22R. i am devestated as i really felt i did much better, was expecting around a 26-27. I took the test while in some serious family problems, i didnt want them to hold me back so i still took it.

I have applied to all the DO schools available, even the 2 new ones. What are my chances? I looked at the score breakdowns for many of these schools and many of them have average MCAT scores of 7-8, mine being just there.

Also, I know a few people that even got into Midwestern Chicago with quite similar scores, but they had much less extracurrics than I have had.

So please anyone able to gauge my chances of getting into any DO school? There must be a chance to get into atleast somewhere? IF anyone has any questions to further help them give me an answer please ask.

And yes, i am not applying to DO simply because I dont have numbers for MD schools, i had applied to bout 20 MD schools and 24 DO schools. I have extensively shadowed a DO (an uncle of mine), stood in surgeries with him as well, and the funny part is, he told me he was a DO after my first two visits to him. Thus i really respect the field and if anyone says they are not doctors, id tell them, go shadow one first and then talk.

again
undergrad gpa-3.12
mcat-22R
graduate gpa-pending
substantial extracurricular activites

what schools should i really focus on in trying to get in?
helpmenow
Scutophile
Scutophile

School Acceptance

Postby ayushman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:20 pm

Your GPA and MCAT scores are fine. However, you may not get as many interview opportunities as someone who did a little bit better. What you should focus on is your interview. Once you get invited to a school the GPA and MCAT scores are secondary to the face to face contact with the admissions committee.

My parents are doctors and my sister is going to an Osteopathic school right now. One thing that I have learned is that Osteopathic schools are generally not as high strung as MD schools (there are ofcourse many exceptions I'm sure). They tend to focus more on the person and their experiences rather than how good of a test taker an individual is.

That being said, even if you do not get an interview don't get depressed or give up! You've made it a really long way and your dream is just an inch away. Starting in 2007 the MCAT will be given about 22 times every year. Study for it just like you would for a class and don't rule out taking a prep course like KAPLAN. You will get into med-school. Its not a matter of if; rather of when and how much you want it.

Respectfully,
Ayush
ayushman

Postby helpmenow » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:52 pm

i appreciate your advice, it does give me some strong motivation.

like i said, my gpa is low because of certain variables in my life, but i overcame that and my grades had improved substantially as my transcript shows

all i need is a chance at an interview, and i broadly applied to all the schools, so even 1 interview and i will pull through God willing
helpmenow
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby gopre1236 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Hey. Just a word of encouragement. I made a 20 on the MCAT and have a 3.58 gpa. I just got accepted to VCOM. It's all in the interview. Have confidence and truly show them you are wanting to go into Osteopathic Medicine for it's true qualities. So know what makes Osteopathic medicine so beautiful! Best of luck!
gopre1236

Postby helpmenow » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:50 pm

ADVICE? should i take the mcat agian in this january? will that allow me to take utilize that score for the Fall 2007 application? will they analyze my file before i take it actually? and then maybe if i am in limbo and i have brought my score up, that may give me a little nudge over? how does that work?

also. from checking up on this my scores are MOST competative at these schools, i used the forums osteopathic school checker tool and checking mdapplicants, a lot of people with similar scores to mine got accepted to lake eerie, new englad, and the last one i listed

-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
-West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
-Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (PCSOM)
-University of Osteopathic Medicine & Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine & Surgery

any advice on these schools? does it matter what state you live in?

ALSO, with these scores, i hear that i will not be screened out or denied right out the gates.......so question is, i WILL get an interview still maybe from many of these schools? and i guess if i blow them away in the interviews it might just do the trick?
helpmenow
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)