having a change of heart

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

having a change of heart

Postby Jzeidenb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:37 pm

this year i applied to only MD schools because my heart was set on that route..

however the more i read and appriciate DOs, the more i feel like this could be a very good route with me.. yes for specialities like interventional radiology, that im interested in, the road may be a little less traveled, but I feel that DOs are a wonderful route now, whereas before I had reservations.

My question and reason for this post is:

I want to apply to DO schools now, but is it a little too late for this cycle in that it would significantly impact my chances? If i dont get into any md school this cycle ill probably take a year off and move to florida and work down there with my grandfather. and apply for the entering class of 2009 rather than right again in 08.

Should i wait until then to apply to DO schools or apply now, with the knowledge that if i dont get in, that means i will have a slightly harder road when i apply to schools for the second time..

im sorry if this sounds complicated and incoherent, i will clarify any questions if needed.
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:30 pm

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:59 pm

we are still in september, i would say apply now. it all depended on what ur heart tells you. Which ever way u decide to go, i think u will be fine.

I have seen DO neurosurgeons, so i don't think anything what u want to do will be hindered by going the DO route.

I will say u apply now and hope u can get an interview early next year.

good luck
User avatar
Posts: 1312
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:57 am

Postby mdille2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Apply now to DO schools..they tend to have later deadlines than allo schools.

User avatar
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Illinois

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)