About WVSOM

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

About WVSOM

Postby collegekid77 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:46 pm

I am interviewing with WVSOM on Monday, it will be my 3rd time. I am starting to wonder if their interview process is just a formality b/c I am a WV resident and nothing more.... that, truth be told, they have already made up their mind whether or not they are going to accept me before I even bother sending in the supplemental application, let alone sit before them. This is what someone told me anyhow, and I am inclined to believe it. My GPA is pathetically low and my MCAT score is average, so they will see me as a risk most likely, but are they actually going to assess my character in 15 minutes? I mean, should I even bother going to this interview? I know the old addage: 3rd times the charm, but I am a poor college student who cannot afford to be galabanting all over the countryside, nor can I waste time with schools that simply extend me a hand as a formality, with no real intention of giving me a chance.
collegekid77

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 pm

think about it. why would they keep inviting you for interview if they don't even think about the possibility of accepting you? it cost them money too you know. The lunch is on them . I go to WVSOM and funny enough, they had a meeting today to get student volunteers to go to lunch with interviewees and just talk to them.

i really understand where you coming from. I felt the same way during my interview. i didn't even think i was going to get into WVSOM, i actually thought they called me for interview because i kept calling them to check on my status.

you have to understand that your GPA and MCAT score is more of an obstacle than anythingelse. If you think u have that bad of a stats and u still got called for interview everytime, it's not just for formality anymore. They might actually be interested but just haven't been convinced enough.

i know they go for in-state candidate alot so there should be no doubts about that. I don't know if they would be able to assess your character in just 15minutes, but they can sense pretty well any out of sort demeanor.

After 2 interviews in the past, i am pretty sure they know who u are and they still keep inviting u, so that should tell you something. And again, you might wanna look back and your previous interviews and see what u might be doing that could act against you and change that.

i really wish you good luck on monday. I am one of the 2 black student in the entire school :lol: I am not hard to miss! but i really like it though.

Hell! if u are a christain, then get to praying and if u not, it's ok too.

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby vbarbato » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:53 pm

can one of you tell me what the interview is like at WVSOM? I have an interview there on Oct. 18th.
vbarbato
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:10 pm

from my experience, they seem very laid back. My interviewers weren't in complete formal wear. Now that i recall one of my interviewer which happens to be the molecular biology prof was in khaki pants with no ties.

eventhough they are laid back, you don't want to be too laid back. i was told they made it seem like that to take a bit of the tension out of the process.

but in general it was like any other interview. No one-on-one! you will probably have 3 interivewers in the same room with you.

good luck.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)