low gpa, decent mcat

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

low gpa, decent mcat

Postby csnitchl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:42 pm

My gpa is about a 3.2 (both overall and science), and my mcat is 30 (11B 10V 9P). I've also taken a few years off since college and done research. Any thoughts on which DO schools I have a shot with? Broad question, I realize. I'm particularly interested in New England, Michigan, Chicago and Ohio. Thanks.
csnitchl

Postby OlufunshoBY » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:23 am

i think u should apply to all of these schools. You GPA is on the low side but MCAT is good. There are no guarantees but u should definitely apply.

Question about u GPA might be raised both among adcomms and in interviews (if u get invited).

look into schools in ur states (MD or DO). try WVSOM and PCOM. I go to the former and i heard the later is good too.

good luck.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby wagdog1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:46 pm

We're in the same boat...

I am a 3.24 Cum, 3.04 Sci, 32Q (13V, 9B, 10PS).

I'm taking the strategy of applying to lower-tier (if there is such a thing) MD schools and the better DO schools. I am not sure whether newer DO schools are a good idea... I'd rather have something that I can rely on for my 200,000 dollars of debt...

Best of luck to you!
wagdog1
Gunner
Gunner

Postby stevebhrs » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 pm

wagdog1 wrote:We're in the same boat...

I am a 3.24 Cum, 3.04 Sci, 32Q (13V, 9B, 10PS).

I'm taking the strategy of applying to lower-tier (if there is such a thing) MD schools and the better DO schools. I am not sure whether newer DO schools are a good idea... I'd rather have something that I can rely on for my 200,000 dollars of debt...

Best of luck to you!

What are the lower-tier schools you're talking about?
stevebhrs

Postby DeepRoller » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:08 pm

The lower tier schools are the ones in the middle states (that is, not on the east or west coast) that are typically parts of state universities. Med Schools at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, University of Missouri at Kansas City, University of Oklahoma, University of North Dakota, South Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana State at Shreveport, Mississippi, etc., etc.: all equally good medical schools (as equally good as an IVY school, actually--and there are many others), but not lusted after like Columbia, UCLA, Harvard, Chicago, NYU, Mayo, or all those other well-known research schools.
Well known? What's in a name? A rose by any other would smell as sweet...
I think you get the point.

Michael
DeepRoller
Gunner
Gunner

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)