DOs working abroad

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

DOs working abroad

Postby g-funk » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm not an especially competitive med school candidate. I had a 3.2 as an undergrad in an unrelated field, and am now in a Post Bacc program after working in the fortune 500 world for 3 years. So far as a Post Bacc student I have a 4.0. I haven't taken the MCAT's yet, but I will be studying hard, and I usually do very well on standardized tests in general.

I want to study emergency medicine, and work abroad after medical school. I have spoken with a firm that does recruiting for positions in Australia, and they told me that they don't accept osteopathic doctors. I don't know if that is common to other countries or not.

I know that for competitive residencies, DOs from American universities will generally get preference over MDs from the Carribbean or abroad. In short, a Carribbean MD will help me working abroad later in life, but a DO from the states will help me get a better residency. Which one would be more advantageous given my goals? Is there anybody that has a DO that has worked abroad? How significant of a barrier is the DO title when working on foreign soil? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
g-funk
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:43 pm

some countries don't recognize DOs. I would say most 3rd countries would probably not recognize it. some other non- third world might have few problems with it too. i think i heard UK just started recognizing it.

your question about either carib MD or US DO is kind of an hot issue. Many would disagree on the fact that US DO have an edge over carib MD. Since u haven't taken the MCAT, i say u put a lot of work towards that and get a good score. that saves u the whole MD carib and DO hassle. Unless u really want to go into DO.

if u trying to practice abroad, u are much safer doing MD. u don't want people to call ur credential into question just because they don't recognize it in their country.

i am not sure if i answered ur question.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)