undergrad school

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

undergrad school

Postby olgeezer114 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:44 pm

While looking through all the posts about chances and each MD or DO school's average acceptance statistics, it seems like acceptance is entirely based on numbers, but my question, how much do you think these schools consider where the applicants went undergrad. Personally, I go to a highly accredited and competitive undergraduate school where I feel my 3.3 should get me farther than a 3.3 from an average state school. What are your thoughts?
olgeezer114

Postby wagdog1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Grades are not a reflection of competitiveness of a school.

Grade curving may occur to a greater extent at a smaller private school than at a large state school in which "weeding" is more likely to take place.

There are more factors in play than you seem to realize.
wagdog1
Gunner
Gunner

Postby olgeezer114 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:43 am

you seem to have missed my point. i understand grades are not a reflection of the competitiveness of a school, the school itself is. my question was, if the forum felt the med schools consider the competitiveness of the school or just blindly follow the numbers.
olgeezer114

Postby anamaky » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:40 pm

your 3.3 is just that 3.3, doesn't matter from which school. the adcoms won't see a 3.3 and think 3.6 because you went to whatever school. you still need a high MCAT to make up for the low GPA.
anamaky
Medical Student Moderator
Medical Student Moderator

Postby wagdog1 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:00 pm

sorry I guess I jumped the gun without really considering your question... I agree.. I'd say that unless your school has a huge reputation of inflating grades or of not curving that you will be viewed as what you've earned. Best idea I can think of is to call adcoms at schools you are looking at and anonymously asking for their opinion.

Best of luck. I am in the same boat... 3.23 gpa -- try to do well on your MCAT -- in particular the verbal reasoning section from what I've read.
wagdog1
Gunner
Gunner

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)