PA MD or Nurse Practitioner???

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

PA MD or Nurse Practitioner???

Postby bmtrogdo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Hello. I am a new member on this site and I recently desided to suppliment my theater major with science prereqs for grad school. Could anyone tell me the major differences between the PA, the NP, and the MD? Obviously the MD is the most qualified, but what is it that PAs can't do that a MD can. What is the main difference between a nurse practitioner and a PA? One more question: is it easy to go from a PA to an MD? Thanks SO much!!
-B
bmtrogdo

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 am

PA Vs MD: PAs will always be under the supervision of MDs.

that's all i can tell u.
"for what u believe in... stand up!
If u think that u sleeping...rise up!
You got to fight for urself,
before u find urself, by urself with ur hands up!"
2 face.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby CaribMD » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:30 am

PAs and NPs are almost the same there are some practice differences that NP's have a little more responablility but both are not MD's and must answer to an MD they are still under a MD.
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Vonsmack » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 pm

PA = Physicians assistant. They go through an intensive two year program, and yes they are always under doctor's supervision. They perscribe medicine but the doc will sign off on it. They can specialize as well. Generally they do the dirty work and busy work to help out the MD/DO to save them time. They are paid reasonably well and do not pay malpractice insurance, they also have good quality of life.

NP= Nurse Practitioner. These are RNs who after some years of experience go through some more extensive graduate training similar to PA school. They are mostly found in family practice, but they can also specialize in ob-gyn, er, and other settings. They do not need MD/DO supervision, and can run their own practice/clinic. Pay and quality of life is comparable to PA.

Hope this helps, maybe someone who is actually a PA or a NP can give more insight.
Dr. Dan
6 Years on StudentDoc and counting.. :)
Vonsmack
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby CaribMD » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:26 am

Vonsmack wrote:PA = Physicians assistant. They go through an intensive two year program, and yes they are always under doctor's supervision. They perscribe medicine but the doc will sign off on it. They can specialize as well. Generally they do the dirty work and busy work to help out the MD/DO to save them time. They are paid reasonably well and do not pay malpractice insurance, they also have good quality of life.

NP= Nurse Practitioner. These are RNs who after some years of experience go through some more extensive graduate training similar to PA school. They are mostly found in family practice, but they can also specialize in ob-gyn, er, and other settings. They do not need MD/DO supervision, and can run their own practice/clinic. Pay and quality of life is comparable to PA.

Hope this helps, maybe someone who is actually a PA or a NP can give more insight.

Uh I never heard of an NP not under a DOC that would be practicing medicine without a LIC. All the NP's I met working were under a Doc. Yes they had a Pt. Load but still had to have a Doc they called and referred to.
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
CaribMD
The One
The One

Next