Just a general observation...

Review your favorite medical TV show.
Was it medically accurate? Was it anatomically accurate (that is, do residents actually look like that?)?

Just a general observation...

Postby wackie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:37 pm

With my EMT training that is not quite complete, I've noticed that when they bag patients on TV, they ventilate as if they're inflating a raft.

"OMG we're going to lose him!" *squeeze, squeeze, squeeze*
"Quick! Start a central line!" *squeeze, squeeze, squeeze*

My handy dandy EMT training has taught me (for adults) to slowly compress the bag over two seconds, then count "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand" and compress the bag again on "five one thousand" over a two second period.

My handy dandy EMT training has also taught me that when you're pumping on that bag like you want your patient to float up off the bed, the air will go into the stomach and can cause airway compromise (ex: vomitting) and nobody likes that.

So, with the shows often having someone with medical training on staff, why is this overlooked so often?
wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:23 am

they seriously have someone with medical training on staff? man... I could be that guy! I suppose they pay well.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:25 am

oh BTW, why is everypne pn gray's anatomy pretty and smart? That's not an accurate representation of residents :wink:
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby racerwoman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:32 pm

ech, you think sandra oh is good looking? and the wimpy guy is good looking ...? for that matter, is GREY good looking? between her lisp, her worn out skin, her indecision about everything and her baggy eyes...what's exactly attractive about her? the guys on the other hand...yum.
racerwoman
Gunner
Gunner

Postby oldmdhopeful » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 am

racerwoman,

You are right! The first time I saw Grey's Anatomy, I was so surprised at how NOT attractive they are (the one exception is Izzy -- she is pretty). It is so weird, I heard about how unrealistically good looking everyone on that show was, and when I saw it, I didn't think any of them were that great looking! McDreamy is okay, but Meredith? Really, at the hospital where I work, there are 3 male docs that I can think of off the top of my head that blow McDreamy away, and 1 female doc who is infinitely better looking than Meredith Grey. And that's not counting the nurses (one of whom is my husband, and he is really good looking -- lucky me!). How funny!
oldmdhopeful

Next

Return to Medical TV Shows