am in west virginia

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Joke

Postby sopwith camel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:59 am

Joke or not it is offensive. Philly has a large black population. If you had interviewed at PCOM would you have joked about all the people eating watermelon? Maybe I am more sensative because I am an osteopathic medical student and osteopathic schools tend to focus or rural medicine. But making inflammatory statements is not a good idea for any medical professional. They people you make fun of today may be the patient helping to pay of that debt you are worried about in the future. I understand that a joke is just a joke, but spreading stereotypes is never funny. Just something to think about.
sopwith camel

Postby OlufunshoBY » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:52 am

ok. I wasn't going to get into war of words with you but i think i will indulge myself a bit. I want you to quote where i made any degrading statement or any stereotype.

Is it about choosing between ross MD or WV DO school that is upsetting you? what school are u in? How much are you paying? If you paying $72K/year, then you will have a case. if you are not, then keep your opinion to yourself.

Have you ever been to WV before? Yes, to me, it looks creepy at night and things tend to quiet down quickly. ANd yes, some of the gas station i went into were looking at me like "i got off the wrong boat." Even at the Mcdonalds'. I am black and african, you don't see alot of my kind in WV but it doesn't bother me. I never made degrading comment about the people in WV. I actually said, they are really nice. And sincerely they are nice.

why exactly would i drive 6hours to a school that i want to make fun off. You ignored the part that i said, i really don't mind going there for 4yrs despite whatever comment i might have made about the place.

I don't know what exactly ur problem is. You won't do better if you where in my shoes but again, i am not you and you are not me.

If you can tell me where my statements offended you, then maybe i will know whether to apologize or tell you to drink some cold water and go to bed.

afterall, you started with the name calling.

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Re: Joke

Postby corndog » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:28 am

sopwith camel wrote:Joke or not it is offensive. Philly has a large black population. If you had interviewed at PCOM would you have joked about all the people eating watermelon? Maybe I am more sensative because I am an osteopathic medical student and osteopathic schools tend to focus or rural medicine. But making inflammatory statements is not a good idea for any medical professional. They people you make fun of today may be the patient helping to pay of that debt you are worried about in the future. I understand that a joke is just a joke, but spreading stereotypes is never funny. Just something to think about.

Do not be so quick to think that DOs are the ones that save the world while MDs sit around collecting their fat paycheck. Preventative care is taught to all medical students, and many MD students have spent time in areas like africa or south america trying to teach people basic nutrition as well as care for them.

As for stereotyping, it is a method we use to anticipate how things may happen in the world. It may not always be accurate, but it is a natural way we learn from experience and associate those experiences with later events. For example, I may have not been to every rural area in the country; however, I can make general statements based upon my experience in other rural areas that may or may not apply to ones I have not been to. That may be stereotyping, but we are all guilty of it.
corndog
Sub-I
Sub-I

Sorry

Postby sopwith camel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:24 am

I'm sorry. Looking back it seemed that I was attacking you personally. I didn't really mean to. For the record it was the deuling banjos and jug as a musical instument comments that i thought were offensive. You did not make these comments and so while I was really making a blanket statement about comments like this, the words I used singled you out.
BTW a friend of mine goes to WVSOM. He is black and he hasn't had any problems there. In fact he was voted "Mr WVSOM" last year. As for the DO not having a lock on the rural med. thing, while this may be true, WVSOM has more grads in rural med than any other med school. Hard to belive as small as it is but according to a survey by the U. of Nebraska it is true.
Last edited by sopwith camel on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sopwith camel

Postby wackie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:10 am

Well, I'm sorry you got offended. I'll just leave it at that.
wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)